Chapter 35 : Nice To See You. Not.

It's been years since I saw mum again.

Years.

I've even stopped chatting to her through mails and texts and any other way of keeping touch.

I was extremely nervous.

Kyle however had gotten a mind of his own when he heard the news. He just straightened his face and headed for the door, finding it was left open ajar.

He went straight in and I followed.

She was there.

She was hugging Brody as they looked over something through his phone.

'And that's my girlfriend', he pointed out, not noticing me and Kyle.

'Ohhh, she's a cute little thing. What's her name again?', she asked him in her so called sweet-mother voice.

'Stephanie', he answered.

Kylie let out a fake cough and both their heads turned to notice us.

She first noticed Kyle. I saw her bottom lip twitch as she scanned the room and finally rested her hungry eyes on me.

I felt like I was literally being scanned. Like X-ray visioned. She was looking at me from head to toe. Observing every possible little detail.

'How nice to see you Grace', Kyle greeted.

She nodded her head at him and looked at me expectantly.

'You want me to say 'nice to see you'? Not. Never. I'm never going to say that. So don't expect it', I blurt out.

What was my sudden anger with her for? I never realized how angry I truly was with her. I used to like to think I didn't have any mother. That it was all a figment of my imagination.

'Now, is that anyway to greet your mother?', my dad told me as he entered the room, holding a tray containing a bowl of cookies.

Really dad? Cookies? Now?

'Come on Kate', Brody begged. He looked soo heartbroken at my reaction,'It's been a long time since we saw mum'

'Exactly my point!' I pointed out.

Silence.

'It's been more than two years Grace. And may I remind you, I was the one who sent the last message which never got replied. Instead, I got ignored for the years with no means of communication from my mother except the money sent in a stupid envelope for dad', I shout out.

'Katherine', she paused,'let me explain. Please calm yourself'

'Don't you dare call me Katherine', I warned her,'I never liked that name. It's Kate now'

'Kate', she corrected herself,'let me explain. Everything.'

'There's no need to explain anything', I said, my voice straight and clear,'come on Kyle. It was a mistake to come here'

I grabbed Kyle's hand and pulled him out the door. I can feel his worried face as he stared at me.

I didn't feel any emotions to be honest. Not really.

I just felt empty. Almost like a void.

Kyle held my hand right before getting in to his car,'will Ice Cream cheer you up?' He asked.

'Baskin Robins would do the trick', I let out with a feeble smile.

He stared at me far more than a minute then opened the car door like a chauffeur.

'What a gentleman', I complimented.

'Yeah. A gentleman dating a cave woman', he replied.

'Ouch', I laughed.

He closed the door only after his award winning grin of satisfaction. I let out a huge sigh before he entered. I let myself feel ashamed just for a second.

Just for a second.

We drove around to Baskin Robins in five minutes as it was now a clear street. Everyone was walking mostly. Most of them were taking their dogs out to walks at this time of the day.

'Shouldn't you kids be at school?', the worker asked us as we entered.

'We had our reasons...', Kyle took a moment to look at the worker's name tag,'...Bill'

The worker straightened his back,'what can I get you both on this fine day?'

Me and Kyle examined the available flavors.

'Cotton Candy for me', I mutter.

'Yeah. One Cotton Candy for the lady and I'd like the Coffee one', Kyle said as he took out his wallet.

The worker -Bill- nodded,' Cup or Cone?'

'Cone obviously', Kyle said.

Bill nodded as he served us our ice cream. Kyle paid the bill and we both went and sat in the corner of the shop, licking our ice cream as we went.

'So tell me', Kyle started after a while,'I don't remember you having any hatred to your mum'

'I don't. And you were so cool about it that I'd never guess that you both had a business argument at all', I replied after a minute.

Kyle and Grace were to join in an expedition but Grey enterprises refused and the whole thing went down.

My mum never considered their personal reasons in why they refused.

Kyle's father was sick with Dengue for an exhausting period of time.

'We've resolved our issues. Carr to enlighten me of yours?' He asked. Adamant bastard.

'She stopped communicating with me. Like I said before', I replied, now biting the cone.

'She must have had her reasons. Maybe her phone broke'

'Then how did she text me using the same number and everything?'

'Good point. But let her explain one day', Kyle said.

I just nodded.

Maybe.

I just wanted to go home and back to the sanctuary of my warm comfy bed.

Kyle dropped me back home and that was exactly what I did.

I avoided everyone till I entered my room and locked the door. Changed to a comfy shorts and T-shirt and keep my legs on the bed, strolling through what was on in Netflix.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, what do you guys think of this chapter ? ❄️

It was pretty serious isn't it?

But it was a good kind of serious.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Bye my lovies!

P.S who here loves ice cream as much as I do? Yessssssss, comfort food.