Chapter 28- Ravenous

The restaurant was full. I looked around at the busy tables. An old couple eating side by side, one glass of wine each, studiously bent over their meals. A group of young women in their thirties collapsing with helpless giggles as a stern woman dining alone nearby looked on and frowned.

Businessmen in their grey suits lighting up cigars. American tourists, trying to decipher the menu. A family and their teenage children. The noise level was high. The smoke level, too. But it didn't bother me. I was having too much fun with my friends, my "extended family."

"Pass the guac would you Jen?" Enzo asked over the table. The table was about five Phoenix's long and as wide as his arm span. The dark cherry wood was smooth and had the lustrous quality of well waxed wood.

Jennifer's eyes scanned over the table before landing on the bowl of guacamole. She pushed herself off the chair and extended her arm as far as possible. Her fingers wiggled as she tried to bring the bowl closer to her but her arms were too short to reach.

She sighed as she sat back down, "that was guacward."

"You did not just make that awful joke," Sebastian rubbed his temples throughly, I giggled and sipped my coke.

"I did and the worst part is I really don't give a guac." Jennifer was half laughing half hiccuping, we all laughed till our ribs hurt.

"Hi, my name is Olivia and I'll be your waitress for this evening. What would you guys like?" The waitress, Olivia, asked politely.

The waitress stood with what looked like a mini touch screen computer ready to take our order. As we spoke she deftly tapped the screen to transmit the order straight to the kitchen. Then she beamed at us with the enthusiasm of someone new to the job and asked if she could get us any drinks.

"One machine to go back in time so that I'm not a soon to be father," Phoenix pushed his chest out as he made full eye contact with me.

Crossing my arms over my chest I spat, "don't be a dick now please."

"I'm only kidding," Phoenix shook with laughter, I rolled my eyes.

Olivia, the waitress, ran her hands through her hair. "What would you guys like to order?" She repeated.

Enzo threw his head back, "can I order a slice of you please?" He waggled his eyebrow as he smirked at the waitress, she blushed.

"Can we have two burgers with fries, one margarita pizza, two caesar salads and one barbecue ribs. " Sarah smiled enigmatically, "please."

The waitress fumbled as she tapped the screen multiple times, each press becoming gradually harder and harder. Sarah met Enzo's gaze over the table and she grinned at him, he tightened his lips as he watched Olivia have trouble maintaining eye contact.

After she'd finally gotten all the meals and beverages down Olivia left, without giving Enzo her number which he wasn't too pleased about.

Phoenix watched Sebastian chug down his beer, he slammed it down on the table and licked the froth off his lips. "Did you know cenosilliacaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass!"

"Did you know that throwing facts in people's faces all the time isn't cool?" Sebastian leaned forward, Sarah giggled.

Phoenix blushed momentarily before sticking his chin up, "Well superman is smart and knows facts and he's really cool so yeah."

Simultaneously, Enzo and Sebastian rolled their eyes. I couldn't control my laughter but Phoenix looked so hurt.

Why were guys such big babies?

"I couldn't agree more, superman is the whole package. Smart, hot and not to mention a major part of his package is huge," I nod while maintaining eye contact with Phoenix.

He gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me, I look away.

The waitress arrived with our meals, one by one she placed six dishes in front of us. My stomach growled noisily and I had to swallow back a pool of saliva.

Sebastian lifted his drink with a smile, "a toast to our dysfunctional family!" He lifted the glass above his head, we mimicked him.

"Our dysfunctional family!" We yelled together. I sat back and let the happiness soak right into my bones. I wanted the feeling to still be there when I was old.

• I'm feeling pretty happy today and I want to share my positivity with you guys! So smile sweethearts, you deserve happiness! (: •