19 ~ Capture the flag

I'm extremely sorry I'm like three weeks late updating this chapter I know and I'm so so sorry please bear with my terrible planning and updating skills

<<<Day 26>>>

Every single lost boy had gathered in the training clearing, all grouped up, young and old alike. An air of eagerness shimmered in the atmosphere as they chattered consistently, unable to suppress their excitement, grinning widely, their movements quick, nervous. Nature itself seemed to agree with them, the sunlight bright and dancing through the leaves, the gentle wind playing in the clearing, breezing past them lightly, barely stirring their hair, just like the last fall of someone's breath before it was held in anticipation.

Adelina was standing amongst them, not understanding what all the excitement was about, yet not complaining, seeing as no one was paying any attention to her. It was with a defeated heart though, that she searched the throng for the familiar tall, sandy haired boy. The last time she'd seen him had been five days ago, when she'd told him of her dream. The next day, he'd vanished. No matter what the others told her, that he was gone on an important mission for Pan, she knew something was off. He'd never been gone from camp for such a long time, and whenever he popped back to camp at night, he'd always had a few minutes to spare to say hi.

Some part of her was scared that she'd driven him away, that she'd scared him by telling him about her dream. What if he was regretting his promise? What if he would break it and tell Pan?

Adelina was released from her thoughts as the crowd fell silent. Instinctively, she looked over to where they were all looking, and saw that Pan had appeared. And next to him, was Felix. Her heart squeezed, and she didn't know if she was mad or relieved to see him. His imperturbable gray eyes scanned the crowd and locked with hers, yet he looked away almost immediately, as if he were afraid something would happen if he looked at her for too long. No greeting smile, no cheery wink, nothing.

She took a sharp breath, anger boiling in her chest. So what? She was getting the silent treatment now?

Pan cleared his throat, standing tall and proud in front of his lost boys. He surveyed them, his eyes glinting with satisfaction and the crowd drew its breath in anticipation. It was deathly quiet in the clearing.

"Today's training will be a game of capture the flag," he announced. Cheers erupted from the lost boys. Apparently, it had been what they'd all been hoping for. "You know the rules," he pressed on, "no killing." Well that was reassuring. "Any instant killing will be severely punished. Blue team's captain is Felix. Red team's is Ryan. Each team will consist of twenty two players, with three healing stones each. As usual, I'll be refereeing."

Adelina was only half listening to Pan as she spotted Gabriel a little over to her left, with Serge next to him. She smiled, heading over to them, having to shove a couple of lost boys in the way. Ever since he'd made Serge's acquaintance, they'd become inseparable. Somehow, the young French boy had been the element Gabriel had needed to start leaving his treehouse again. Whatever the reason, Adelina was incredibly glad that he was slowly getting better, healing.

Having reached the raven haired boy, she taped on his shoulder. "Hey!" she whispered. "Gabriel!"

The boy turned around and his face split into a smile. "Adelina! You're here! Oh I'm so happy you're here you'll see capture the flag is the best game ever!" he said excitedly.