39 ~ Vela heather

I don't really know what to say, except sorry for the long wait and brace yourselves for another five weeks of this cause I'm starting my end of year exams and I probably won't be updating then. Again, I'm sorry. Hopefully I'll be able to update the shit out of this book once I'm on vacation.

Also, this book has now reached 20K reads so yay!! You guys are the ones that make this possible so thanks so much for reading this story even with my terribly slow updates, I love all of you <3
Thanks again, and enjoy :)

<<<Day 130>>>

Stretching her arms, Adelina exited her treehouse, blinking the sleep away from her eyes. Immediately, she felt a weird atmosphere hanging in the air. Everything was oddly silent, tension building up.

Frowning, she descended the ladder and observed the campsite before her. A few lost boys were running around under Felix's orders, bringing him things, filling him in new reports, climbing up and down the ladder, checking seemingly at random the treehouses. The rest of the lost boys were huddled around the fire quietly, seeming lost.

"What's going on?" Adelina murmured to Felix as she halted next to him, looking around herself uncomprehendingly. She'd never seen the lost boys look so pale, so lifeless.

The second in command's features were drawn tightly, his figure tense. "We've got a dozen lost boys unable to get out of bed because of an unexplained fever, and another dozen that are on the brink of death."

Adelina's eyes widened. "What happened?"

Felix drew a weary hand over his face, dark circles under his eyes as if he hadn't slept at all last night. "We don't know yet, Pan is doing all he can to try and find out."

As if on cue, Pan walked up to them, his features also showing extreme strain and pressure. "It's what I thought," he informed Felix grimly, not sparing Adelina the slightest glance. "This isn't any normal illness, not one that I've ever encountered in Neverland."

"Well then, what is it?" she questioned anxiously. Shivering, she drew her jacket more tightly around herself as if she could protect herself from the illness.

"Hook," Felix answered for his leader, having understood. His voice was laced with contempt. "The pirates managed to infect us with a sickness of their own creation."

Pan nodded, his lips pressed firmly together, making them turn white, his shoulders tense. Adelina has never seen him look so grave. "I'm going to check up on Blake, he was one of the first to get contaminated," Pan informed dispiritedly, far from his usual self.

"What do you want us to do?" Felix questioned, always ready to help his leader.

Pan looked at the two of them blankly. "Try to keep the sick alive, but I don't want any one of you two approaching them, is that understood?" He pointed at the two of them. "If I can't find a cure before it's too late, I can't have you two dying with them." With that said, Pan turned around and headed over to Blake's room, his figure strung tightly.

"I've never seen Pan like this before," Adelina commented as she watched their leader open the wooden door and disappear behind it.

Felix's jaw clenched. "We should try and quarantine the infected," he said, preferring not to dwell on such thoughts. "This illness is spreading like wildfire through our lost boys. We have to try and minimize contacts with them."

Ten minutes later, ignoring Pan's instructions, Adelina, Felix, Cailan and a couple of other lost boys, all wearing masks over their mouth and nose as well as leather gloves, entered the treehouses of the infected lost boys, helping them up and moving them to the bigger treehouses, where three other lost boys, equally dressed up, awaited them with wet cloths and soup. Despite their precautions though, by noon, a third of the lost boys had been contaminated. Their expressions were grim, their eyes holding fiery determination that hid the fear in their hearts. No one dared utter their fears out loud and so barely anybody spoke. By the time the evening's sun started dipping down the horizon, only Adelina, Felix, and ten other lost boys were still standing. Forgetting about safety precautions, the survivors were frantically running around camp, desperately trying to keep everyone alive until Pan was able to find a cure.