44 ~ Consequences

I'm sorry for this chapter, I would've updated sooner but for some reason I really don't like it and I cant seem to fix it :(
So hopefully, it's just me and you guys will still enjoy it, pls send love

<<<Day 159>>>

The dirty soles of her boots left muddied prints in the pristine snow as Adelina made her way into the main clearing. The sounds of breakfast had woken her up; chatter built up, bowls were being passed around and snow was crunching underfoot. She took in a deep breath, the air so cold it burned her lungs.

"Good morning," Adelina greeted the two friends as she rearranged the woolen cap atop Gabriel's head so that it covered his ears. "How's your cold?"

Gabriel shrugged, playing it off. "I'm fine." The sticky sound of his voice betrayed his clogged nose. It was bright red and he wiped it with his glove before taking another spoonful of his oatmeal.

She wrinkled her nose at his bowl as she sat down next to him, smoothing down her cloak so that it rested between her and the frozen log. "Isn't that porridge like... a week old?"

Again, he shrugged, his mouth full of food. "I don't know. My nose is so stuffed I can't taste much, so I can't really tell."

"Yeah, well you probably should stop eating that," she said as she pried the bowl from his gloved fingers. "I'll get us both something else."

Since breakfast had almost been over, only a few discarded remains were left on the platters. Adelina marched back to her companion, arms laden with a couple of bread slices, some cheese and a handful of berries half frozen from the cold, only to find him white as a sheet, Serge patting his back in a comforting manner.

"What's wrong?" she asked worriedly as she set their food down, crouching down in front of her friend, her hands on his knees.

Gabriel's lips were pale as they trembled, but no sound came out of them. "He just said that he did not feel well," Serge informed her, he too at loss. He gave Gabriel another small pat, his brown eyes full of concern.

"Is it because of the oatmeal you ate?" she queried. "Does your stomach feel funny?" The child nodded weakly, his lips pressed firmly together. Adelina wracked her brain, trying to remember how to treat food poisoning. "Okay, uhh, Serge, could you go get Cailan for me please? He'll know what to do."

Nodding quickly, the child scurried off. Adelina was left trying to soothe Gabriel, rubbing his back and upper arms in hopes of making him feel warmer. His small frame trembled violently between her hands. A few minutes later, after she had run out of calming words, Serge came running back, a perplexed Cailan following behind.

"What's wrong with him?" he asked, nodding towards Gabriel.

"We're not sure, we think it's food poisoning from the stale porridge he just ate," Adelina told him as she kept a steadying hand on Gabriel's shoulder.

Cailan frowned, kneeling down so that he could look at the child's face. "No, that can't be it," he murmured as he inspected his features; feeling his forehead, checking inside his mouth. "Food poisoning needs at least a day to take effect."

"So what is it? Some kind of placebo effect?" Adelina asked quickly, not liking the gaunt shade Gabriel's face had taken, his expression pinched.