47 ~ Queen

Hello my lovely, infinitely patient readers!! As usual, I took way too long to update, so I'm just going to spare you the school and work and life blablabla, you guys know the drill, and we'll simply jump right into the chapter
Enjoy :)

<<<Day 175>>>

Screams echoed all around Adelina, hurting her ears, as she thrashed in the darkness, trying to rid herself of the cold chains wrapped tightly around her limbs and torso, suffocating her. Voices whispered inches from her face, drowning out the wails as they spat hateful words at her, every syllable making her flinch like drops of acid dripping onto her skin. The lost girl cried out, vainly trying to twist herself out of the spirits' invisible, endless grasp. Terror and desperation consumed her from the inside out, devouring her every emotions until she felt she were nothing more than a corpse.

The obscurity thickened around her and she choked, unable to make another sound. Everything had become silent, no more voices, no more screams, only deafening silence. Pressure built up in her eardrums, a warning of something to come. The chains tightened as if someone were pulling on them, the freezing metal almost cutting into her skin. Suddenly, pain flared up. Every single one of her muscles were taut, going rigid with every violent throb. She couldn't even describe which parts of her body were being attacked, completely blinded and senseless from the agony coursing through her entire being. Adelina didn't understand what was happening to her, couldn't even discern the source of her misery as all she could focus on was not entirely disappearing into the oblivion of her pain.

Nothing was touching her, nothing was there but the ghosts crowding around her, silently mocking and humiliating her as they pursued their mindless, cruel torture. The unbearable pain was building up to an unprecedented agony, one her body was simply not able to withstand. A scream tore through her throat and all at once, the spirits haunting her dissolved into thin air.

Adelina gasped for breath as she awoke, fresh, cool air breathing in and out of her lungs. The phantom pains ebbed away slowly from her consciousness as she grounded herself, realizing that she was still in her bed, still in her treehouse, and that she was safe. Her bedsheets had twisted around her limbs as she'd flailed in her sleep, and now she slowly untangled them, the fabric sticking unpleasantly to her sweat-soaked skin.

"Nightmare?" a low voice asked from the darkness.

Adelina shrieked in surprise, almost toppling out of her own bed. A chuckle was emitted from the same person, somewhere near the bedside table, and a light flared up, bathing her room in a muted, soft golden glow.

Pan was reclining in her chair, entirely at ease as he studied her, a lazy grin on his lips. "Did I scare you?"

The candlelight flickered, casting shadows across his handsome face. "Of course you scared me!" she hissed, clutching at her sheets and bringing them closer to her, attempting to preserve whatever shred of modesty she had left. "What the hell are you doing here? It's the middle of the night!"

Pan ignored her question, only repeating his initial one as he gracefully stood up and sat back down on the edge of her mattress, closer to her. "Did you have a nightmare?" His voice was gentle, almost concerned. Disconcerted, Adelina only nodded. "What was it about?"

"Ryan." The answer was out of her mouth before she could even register it, her voice raw and bitter. "Him torturing me."

Darkness clouded Pan's expression and something unreadable shone in his eyes. Delicately, as if she were a frightened animal he didn't want to scare off, he reached out to her, interlacing his long, slim fingers through hers. Adelina looked down at their locked hands, not knowing what to say, only silently noting that the feeling of his skin against hers wasn't entirely unpleasant.