40 ~ Fugue

Okay so my written exams are finally over, which means that I've only got two more weeks of oral exams left before I'm finally free. I know I said that I wouldn't be updating during my exams, but I had a couple of days between two exams so I managed to squeeze in some time to write a chapter for you guys :)
Please show extra support I'm dying over here from all the last-minute studying I'm doing

"Angie?" Adelina repeated, unable to believe that her sister truly was in front of her. Her heart lurched painfully. She'd never thought she'd see her again.

"Adelina!" the blond-haired four year old squealed happily as she caught sight of her older sister and pushed herself to her feet then barreled towards her, arms outstretched.

As if the last time she'd done it had been only yesterday, Adelina easily caught the toddler mid-run and hoisted her up onto her hip, as she always used to. Angeline nestled herself again her, eyes closed, smiling contentedly. Still half unbelieving, Adelina wrapped an arm around her small form, pressing a soft kiss to the top of her head. "It's really you," she mumbled, her voice unsteady as the force of just how much she'd missed her little sister hit her. Tears prickling in the back of her eyes, she set her sister back down. "I missed you so much!" she said as she smoothed down the sides of her hair that had gotten all messed up.

Angeline smiled. "I missed you too, and that's why I asked the flying boy to take me to you."

Adelina's breath caught in her throat. The flying boy. "How did you get here?" When her sister didn't immediately answer, her tone became more urgent. "Angie, how did you get here?"

"I don't know!" she whined as she suddenly became tired, rubbing at her eyes. "I kept asking the flying boy to take me to you and then poof! I'm here!"

Adelina's gut clenched. If Pan was the one that had brought her here, there was no way she would be able to protect her from him. "Let's put you to bed," she said simply, trying to hide the panic she was feeling so that Angeline wouldn't get scared. "You must be exhausted."

The toddler only nodded, stifling a yawn as her big sister scooped her up and lay her down gently on the mattress. Angeline let herself be tucked in without a fuss, simply happy to have found her sister again. "Won't you sleep with me?" Angeline asked sleepily as she peered at Adelina through drooping eyelids.

"In a minute, Angel. I just have to get a few things and I'll be right with you." She kissed the top of her head, lingering for a few seconds as she smelled her hair, reminding of all the times she'd attempted with varying degrees of success to wash Angeline's hair.

"Okay," she mumbled through the thumb in her mouth. "I love you."

Through all the fatigue and stress of the day, the simple sentence almost made Adelina cry. "I love you too, Angie. Now go to sleep," she added softly.

<<<Day 131>>>

"The pirates are growing more restless with every passing day," Felix warned Pan. The two of them were walking back to camp after having met at the thinking tree early that morning. "They somehow found out that we've been gathering more and more lost boys and they'll do anything to start the war soon."

Pan nodded thoughtfully, his jaw clenched. "What would you have me do?" he asked, his hands clasped behind him as he walked, giving off an air of nonchalance, yet the strain in his shoulders belied the pressure he was under.

Felix's expression was grave as he delivered even more bad news. "I've heard whispers that Hook's turned to the fairies for some extra help."

Pan scowled. "But the fairies swore that they would take no part in this war."