30 ~ Acceptance

<<<Day 48>>>

Adelina had woken up later than she ever had before while in Neverland. The sun was so high up in the sky that it was already commencing its descent, yet no one had come to wake her up. Although that had been to be expected, as she imagined that all the other lost boys had overslept too. After all, they'd gone to bed just as the sun had started to tinge the sky a soft pastel pink, preparing its ascent.

Adelina recalled the previous night's events with a small smile, sitting up in her bed, her knees brought up to her chest as she hugged them contentedly.

After Pan had proclaimed her a lost girl, the festivities had started. A feast had been brought out, one which Adelina had never seen the likes of before. Once they had all gorged themselves into the exceptional delicacy of the courses, drums had started playing. The night had fallen, yet the forest had remained illuminated with the tamed flames of the fire and the soft golden lights of the paper lanterns that adorned the trees. Together, all the lost boys and her, they had started dancing, the beat of the drums wild, the soft tunes of flutes chiming in, along with their raucous shouts of joy, to form a discordant melody that enchanted all of them. Never had she felt so free, so alive as she had that night. Everything seemed to be pure bliss as they jumped and hollered, reaching to the dark velvet sky, nothing could ever be wrong in her world, not when everything seemed so right.

The night had been already well consumed, she had already danced with each and every lost boy, for now that Ryan's wrathful glares had been locked away with him in the cage, they all seemed to adore her and to want to be graced with the lost girl's presence. It was then that Pan had raised his pan flute to his delicate lips, the reflection of the flames dancing in his eyes. The atmosphere had changed at once. Joviality had been replaced with serenity. A hushed silence had grown to meet the incredible softness of the notes that floated through the air, enveloping them in a gentle caress that evoked home and security and warmth. Adelina had been so touched as it wore on, for it was a melody that none of them had ever heard before, it was strong and beautiful. Pan's gaze met hers only once, briefly, for she had been avoiding him as much as she could throughout the night, but in the instant where their gazes held, there was no reminder of lust in his eyes, only fixed concentration onto her, as if the song he was creating was for her, to welcome her into Neverland's embrace.

Adelina, her back against the wood paneled wall of her treehouse, now played idly with the pebble that held her rune, its exterior soft and smooth against her fingertips. She peered at it, closely, scrutinizing it now that there was no one in the vicinity to see it.

In delicate lines engraved into the stone was drawn a beautiful owl, its wings outstretched, as if ready to take flight. Adelina found the animal majestic in its calm and solemn demeanor, and found herself honored to have such an animal represent her. Of course, she knew what that bird meant. The owl, symbol for the Greeks of wisdom and knowledge. Yet she couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed. Was this all that she was? Her rune was supposed to represent her role on the island, as Pan had said. She had expected some sort of epic reveal of her true destiny here, something to lead or guide her.

As if fate had summoned him, there was a knock on her door.

"Who is it?" she called out cautiously.

"It's Felix," he answered, his voice slightly muffled by the wooden door.

"Oh," she sat back down as she had been halfway out of her bed. "Come in," she told him.