42 ~ Winter

I'm finally back from my vacation in Japan (it was amazing) and I got to write the end of this chapter in the ten hour flight home... and no I did not cry writing it
On a lighter note, Thank you all for the votes and comments you left on the last chapter, you guys are amazing :)
WE ARE NOW AT 30K READS THANK YOU SO MUCH I LOVE YOU ALL

<<<Day 153>>>

Something cold was pressed against Adelina's right cheek as she slowly stirred into wakefulness. Her neck was cruelly sore and so was her back, her legs so stiff she had trouble moving them at first. Slowly uncurling herself from the tight ball she'd folded her limbs into atop the chair, Adelina realized she must've fallen asleep against the window the previous night while waiting for Felix's return.

The air was crisp as she stepped out of her treehouse. An icy burst of wind bit at her skin, making her take a step back. It had been such a long time since she'd felt that sensation that she almost had a hard time recognizing it.

Cold. She felt cold.

After a quick rummage through the bottom of her drawers, Adelina drew out the article of clothing she'd thought she'd never have to wear because of the incessant heat that had plagued her since her arrival in Neverland.

The cloak was surprisingly soft against her skin as she settled it over her shoulders, fastening the clasp at her throat. Immediately, she felt warmer, and even the harsh, violent burst of wind outside couldn't penetrate its deep green velvety cloth.

Adelina rapped at Felix's door, hoping that he'd come in last night and that she'd simply missed him, yet as the seconds passed and he didn't answer, a heavy coat of despair spread over her heart. She pushed open his door, perhaps he was still sleeping and hadn't heard her, but no such luck. Felix's room was as empty as he'd left it the previous day, nothing had been touched, bitterly indicating his absence.

Adelina didn't know what to do. Should she alert Pan? He wouldn't know of Felix's disappearance yet, he'd never expect his second in command to be able to disobey him. Or maybe she should search for him herself? Pan's threat had only been for the previous day, which meant that she could now go to his rescue without fearing for Gabriel's wellbeing.

Just as she'd been about to prepare herself for whatever her plan would've been, she caught a brush of movement at the mouth of the trail leading towards the beach. Practically throwing herself over the bamboo railing to get a better look, Adelina recognized Felix, limping slightly, blood covering half of his face and clothes.

The flooring rushed under her feet as she sprinted down the walkway, half fell down the ladder and sprinted towards her friend, emotions thick in her throat. Coming closer, she could see that the blood wasn't his own, and that he was barely injured at all.

"Felix!" she cried out as she ran towards him, a wide smile splitting her face. "Thank god you're okay!" She laughed, the relief making her giddy. He was right there, rusted brown masking his face, clothes torn and bloodied, yet he was alive and here with her.

Finally tearing his gaze from the ground in front of him, Felix looked up at her. Adelina immediately stopped in her tracks. There was something wrong about him. Something off. His eyes didn't contain anything, none of his sarcastic humor, no joy, no relief, no love.

Legends say that the eyes are the windows to the soul, yet his were empty.

"Felix?" she asked in a small voice, taking a tentative step towards him. "Are you all right?"