Donna's Dilemma

Dylan calls his father to let him know where he is, and what's happened. I've never met the man, but I hear a raucous voice yelling on the other end of the phone. Dylan smiles at me, explaining, "Dad's put off, I haven't been home much this week."

Since Julia's being held over the weekend for observation, he offers to stay the night. He decides to sleep in the guest bedroom saying he's worried about leaving me alone. The next morning he cooks an amazing breakfast before we head over to check on Julia. When we arrive, I'm relieved to see my grandmother's sitting up in the hospital bed, girlishly flirting with a handsome intern. She looks like her old self with a breakfast tray set out on her lap, Scarlett O'Hara style. "Lizzy, Dylan, I'm so glad to see you! The food here is terrible. I need you to go to Five Guys and pick me up something palatable for lunch."

I give Dylan credit, he doesn't flinch or roll his eyes. In fact, he seems genuinely fond of my grandmother. Despite her prima donna act. I'm just glad of an excuse to escape from Julia's room. I notice the nurse's eyes follow Dylan as we leave the floor. I have to wonder what they're thinking, but I can guess. He's wearing some dark, vintage wash  jeans. Although they're the same ones he wore yesterday, they look brand new on his sculpted butt.

He looks at me and smiles, "Are you sure Julia's your grandmother and you're related to each other? You're both so different."

I start laughing. "Yes, we're related. She has her moments, but sometimes when I least expect it, she can be really kind and sweet. I think she wasn't meant to have kids, or to raise anyone. She wanted to be an actress before she had my mother. She actually dated Errol Flynn."

This is a good moment to ask him about his step uncle, Jerry. I want to carefully broach the subject Jerry Knight might be a suspect in the local unsolved murders. Unsure, I put the subject at the back of my mind. Now that he knows what happened to his sister, maybe Dylan's not interested in following this sleuthing path anymore. Still, I'm afraid if I don't solve this puzzle, I may be the next victim. Someone was in my room for a reason, but I can't fathom what it was.

Afterwards, since it's Sunday, he suggests we do some grocery shopping, have lunch, and then swing by Main Street Club to pick up my grandmother's car. I think he wants to me to stay busy so I won't worry. Things are going great. It's a beautiful, sunny day. Dylan's making me laugh so much, I start imagining a totally different life than my own unfolding before me. Then, as we're walking down fifth Avenue, I see Donna across the street. As she rounds the corner, I can see she looks haunted and upset. When she sees us, she shouts for my attention, "Wait, Elizabeth I want to talk to you!" She darts across the road, running towards us in her clunky, high heels. She doesn't see it with her dark aviator sunglasses on, but I do. Barreling down the street towards her is a large, blue garbage truck with a silver grate.

Thank you for reading! 👻