Dark Forces at Work

I'm terrified we're going to follow Jerry's car off the embankment, but Dylan fights the steering wheel, regaining control of the Mustang. Applying his brakes, we slow down until he can safely pull over onto the highway's edge. Once we're fully stopped, he flicks on his car's flashing, hazard lights. Then, throwing the car in reverse, he expertly backs up until we're closer to the spot where Jerry's car catapulted over the embankment.

Jumping out of the parked vehicle, Dylan and I run along the edge of the road. Anxiously, we both peer down the sloping hill, looking for the Jeep. Through the dark night, I see headlights shining at the bottom of a rocky ravine. The vehicles's lying on it's side with the windshield smashed. One of the car's back wheels are still spinning. I can see the Jeep's front end is crunched up like an accordion. Frantically, we scramble down the embankment. 

When we reach the vehicle, Dylan bangs on the driver side window. "Jerry, are you alright?"

Running to the other side of the wreck, I see the detective's unconscious form slumped over his steering wheel. I gasp, seeing the side of his head is bleeding profusely. "I think he's alive!He's breathing!"

Dylan tries the car's door. "It's locked! Frustrated, he bangs on the car door before spotting a large rock on the ground. He uses it to smash the window. After a few strikes, the safety glass breaks allowing him to reach in to unlock the Jeep's door. As he's opening it, we both look at each other in alarm. A familiar, dangerous smell fills the air. Gasoline!

Wasting no time, Dylan moves quickly. Unbuckling Jerry, he starts pulling him free of vehicle, as flames erupt under the back of the car.

"Hurry!" I yell, as Dylan struggles with Jerry's limp form. The smell of the burning jeep makes me gag. After Dylan and I drag Jerry thirty feet from the car, it erupts into a ball of flames.

 After Dylan and I drag Jerry thirty feet from the car, it erupts into a ball of flames

The scorching blast throws us to the ground. Red tongues of flames reach skyward, eerily illuminating the forest background. For a moment, I'm frozen in place with the smell of burning rubber filling my nostrils.

Adrenaline is still rushing through my body, when a movement in the corner of my eye causes me to look up towards the top of the embankment. I gasp when I see it. Standing above us, looking down into the ravine is the creature that was silhouetted in the back of Jerry's jeep.

"Look!" I grab Dylan's arm, pointing up towards the dark silhouette. "It's that thing from the back of Jerry's car! I blink in disbelief when I realize the creature's not there anymore. "I mean, it was there." Whatever was there has vanished, eerily disappearing into the night. Was it my imagination, or was there a cutout of blackness left where the thing stood before evaporating into darkness.

Exhaustion clouds Dylan's face, "Lizzy call 911. I'll stay with Jerry." With an effort he sits up, leaning forward on his knees to start administering CPR to the limp form on the ground.

I head over to Dylan's Mustang, out of breath from running up the incline. Snatching my phone off the seat, I call emergency services. As they're answering, I see something chilling. The grimoire that was sitting on my seat is no longer there. It's missing. Frantically, I search the entire car, hoping it's just fallen under the seat. I look up and down the highway, but it's deserted. No traffic passing in either direction. A dark ominous feeling engulfs me. The book's nowhere to be seen. It's disappeared. It didn't just get up and walk away? Did it?