Soul Mates

I look at the young female police officer with distaste. Her name tag reads, Halle Cruise. Doesn't Officer Cruise have some sort of patrol  she should be working? She's practically undressing Dylan with her eyes right in front of me. I can imagine what she'd like to do to him with her bright, shiny handcuffs. I grab him by the arm, distracting him from the buxom cop. "I think they're paging you, honey." As I'm pulling him towards the ER, his head swivels back looking at the female officer.

"She's new on the force." He seems intrigued.

"Well, she's not being very professional!" I know I sound jealous, but I can't help myself. Women in uniforms have intimidated me since I was nine years old in catechism class.

A few hours later, a teenage looking doctor in a white lab coat is examining Dylan's foot. He concludes it's not broken. "It's just a bad sprain, but I'll order a set of x-rays to make sure."

As usual, Dylan's more concerned about me. "Lizzy you look tired, why don't you take my car and go home. I'll call my dad to pick me up after the X-rays are done."

"Are you sure? I can stay here with you."

He shakes his head. "You've had quite a day lugging me around and nearly being arrested." His smile melts my heart, reassuring me.

"All right." I bend over and give him a kiss on the cheek. Before I leave, he turns and kisses me on the lips. I wish Miss sticky pawed Cruise could have been present to witness that! As I leave Dylan at the hospital, I realize how exhausted I am. I'm glad his father's on his way over to pick him up. I'll have some private time to let my mind scan for psychic chatter. Perhaps I'll get an idea who was really involved in the hit and run.

First, I decide to drive Dylan's Mustang downtown to the police station to sort out Julia's car before I go home. On the way there, I have a fantasy where I'm Wonder Woman and I bitch slap the lecherous police woman across the room. Dylan then pledges his eternal love to me. This violent desire to slap an authority figure might be some personal growth, because I don't feel the urge to eat or suppress my emotions anymore.

By the time I'm finished at the police station and I turn into my darkened neighborhood, it's close to midnight. All the house lights are off.  As I put the key in the lock, I hear a noise in the bushes. It must be the neighbor's, Mrs. Silverstein's cat, Ramose. The feral thing roams the neighborhood like a miniature black panther looking for trouble.

Suddenly, I feel a sharp blow to the back of my head. Stunned, I collapse on the ground. Everything in my sphere of vision becomes horizontal. Semi conscious, I lie on the ground trying to stay awake. In slow motion, I put my hands on the ground trying to rise, but then another blow makes everything go dark. When I come to, I'm locked in the trunk of a moving car. I try screaming, but my mouth is gagged while my hands and feet are bound.  Please! Someone, please help me! Struggling against my restraints, I send out a psychic cry for help, while tears form in my eyes. I'm not afraid to die, I'm just terrified I'll never see Dylan again!

Thank you for reading!👻