Starry Night

The next night when Dylan and I arrive at the Dresden school gym, I see the hall's been transformed into an enchanted evening. Gold metallic balloons float between glittering banners, while cascading lights hang from the rafters, emulating a sparkling, starry night.

After we secure a table, I sit down and survey the room while Dylan gets us some bubbly cider. Looking very handsome, he returns handing me a fluted champagne glass. Sitting there, I become aware of how many Dresden High couples are staring at us, including the school monitors.

"Look Dylan," everyone's watching. I indicate the other couples, imperceptibly nodding in their direction.

"Perfect!" He stands up extending his hand to me. "Would you care to dance, Lizzy?" Smiling, I rise to accept his invitation.

Grabbing my arm, he expertly guides me onto the dance floor. Chuckling, he whispers in my ear, "Let the Larrikins watch and learn."

The music is playing something slow, romantic and sweet. It's one of my favorite songs, Strange Magic, by ELO. Swirling around the dance floor, I see his band mate, Connor. He raises his glass to us, smiling encouragingly. Feeling light headed with nerves, I smile back at him. My anxiety soon passes. I dreamily imagine Dylan and I are untouchable. As a couple, we're safe from school bullies, crazy ghosts, and murdering, corrupt officials. All the worry fades from my thoughts as we enjoy this magical moment. I feel like I'm floating in a dreamy, bubble of gauze. I wish we could stay in this moment forever. Tilting my face upwards, I look at him concentrating on his green, hypnotic eyes. "What do you want to do after you graduate, Dylan? Have you given it any thought?"

He smiles, obviously liking the question.
"I was hoping you'd ask."

"Oh, why's that?"

He smiles down at me, "Because I truly value your opinion. You're one of the smartest people I know, Lizzy. You open my soul."

My heart flutters, skipping a few beats at the complement. I can't help wondering, If I'm so smart, how come I can't decide what I want to do with my own life?"

Quickly, I prompt Dylan again, "So tell me what you want to do after you graduate in the spring? Truly, I am curious."

"My dream is to work for the FBI. I'm going to apply to Dresden's police academy. He cocks his head sideways, waiting for my response.

"I think that's wonderful, Dylan. Maybe some of these bizarre murder cases will finally be solved."After I share my thoughts, his mouth curves up in a broad smile.

Just as we're syncing in perfect physical and mental harmony, Susan, one member of Donna's nasty former posse, glides over to burst our magic bubble. She gives me an acid look, then hisses accusingly, "I know you killed Donna with some kind of black witchcraft, you freak!"

I'm taken back in surprise at her unbelievable rudeness. She must have mental issues! Stepping forward, Dylan smoothly inserts himself us. "Lizzy had nothing to do with Donna's death, Susan." His voice contains an icy threat which makes her hastily take a step backwards. As if summoned, Donna's specter appears behind Susan. Playfully, she holds a ghostly gun to her friend's blond head. Curse Donna and her practical jokes. Suddenly, being the center of attention is too much for me. Pulling out of Dylan's arms, I run from the dance floor, out to the parking lot.

 Pulling out of Dylan's arms, I run from the dance floor, out to the parking lot

Thank you for reading!👻