Bad Blood

Shaken, I leave Dylan at the ER to check himself in, then go back to ask one of the EMT attendants about the female victim. "What happened to her?"

The young woman shakes her head sadly, packing up her equipment before she loads it into the ambulance. "It was a terrible hit and run over near Main Street Club. Poor girl. Whoever did this to her, left her there to die with the back of her head caved in." My blood runs cold. This was my premonition. Donna's not dead, but I know her injuries are most likely going to be fatal. It's just a matter of time. I should have trusted my gut. I should have tried to warn her.

As I'm berating my poor judgement, I see Jerry enter the hospital. He's wearing his police uniform, approaching me as if he's on official business. Not only looking serious, he also looks strangely suspicious. Stopping in front of me, he appraises me without his usual smile and accompanying friendly banter. "Elizabeth, I'd like to talk to you for a minute."

I look at him trying to get a vibe off him, but all I feel is confusion and anger. Donna's in the emergency room, with the best outcome being that she'll end up in a coma. A chilling thought runs through me. Why is Jerry here talking to me and not out searching for the driver?" He comes right to the point. "Elizabeth, it was your grandmother's vehicle that was involved in Donna Strickland's hit and run accident."

"What? That's not possible! My grandmother's been here in the hospital all this time."

Jerry pulls out a pad checking his notes. "There were no witnesses at the scene, and we couldn't find a driver. The keys were left in the abandoned vehicle." He looks at me, all cop. "Exactly where were you this afternoon, Elizabeth?"

While Jerry 's grilling me, Dylan hobbles over to my side. Listening to the conversation, he's unable to contain himself. He angrily speaks up on my behalf. "Jerry what the hell are you saying? Are you insinuating Elizabeth was somehow involved with Donna getting hurt? She's been with me the whole afternoon!"

As Dylan puts his arms protectively around me, I'm in a state of shock. "My God someone's trying to set me up!"

"Don't worry Elizabeth, no one can accuse you of doing anything wrong." Dylan stares challengingly at Jerry, waiting for a response.

The policeman looks over at me and nods. " I understand your grandmother's still here, Elizabeth. She's about to be discharged."  He sighs then flips his notebook closed. "It sounds like you and she both have solid alibis regarding this crime."

"I'm angry you could ever have imagined Julia or I could have run someone down in cold blood!" What about the person who broke into Julia's house? Did it ever occur to you that he or she might have stolen Julia's extra set of car keys!"

Jerry breathes out the side of his mouth in a heavy sigh. "Look, between the three of us, I think investigating you or your grandmother being involved in this hit and run is ridiculous."

I can't believe he admitted this after acting like he was about to his slap cuffs on me to drag me down to the station. "Then why are you here, Jerry? Why all the questions?"

He hesitates, then looks at Dylan and I, making sure no one's within hearing distance.  He lowers his voice, "Harlan ordered me to open an investigation against you."

"What?" Dylan's furious, but I grab his arm restraining him. Pieces of everything I've learned are starting to fall into place. Just then Jerry's partner walks into the hospital. Now I'm angrier than before as the attractive female officer starts ogling Dylan.

 Now I'm angrier than before as the attractive female officer starts ogling Dylan