Dreams

(Connor's POV)

Over at Main Street club, Dylan's opening up to me about his problems. My father, the owner, allows our band to use the club to practice during the week. We're laying down some new riffs on a song called, It Doesn't Matter. After a few beers, Dylan vents his dreams and his concerns to me.

"Connor, since I was a bully lid, my dreams always been to be a police officer, or a detective. I haven't shared it with anyone besides you, mate. I was going to tell Lizzy the other day, but then she went full honey badger on me at the hospital.

I try to remain neutral when I answer. "Honey badger, eh? Well, I don't really know Lizzy Summers, but I know how happy my best friend's been with her the last few weeks. I thought she was different than the other girls you've been with." I strum a melancholy song on my guitar, trying to get a bead on my friend's feelings.

" I strum a melancholy song on my guitar, trying to get a bead on my friend's feelings

Staying quiet for a moment, I allow Dylan time to sort through his emotions. I know he rarely opens up to anyone. If he does, it's because he desperately needs to talk. "So tell me, Dylan. What's so special about this Lizzy?" I strum my guitar, waiting patiently waiting for him to answer.

"She's different than other girls. She has an easy way about her that makes me feel comfortable. She doesn't try to put on airs, or charm anyone.

"And?"  I gently, prompt him.

Dylan looks up from his guitar. "She's not impressed by me. She speaks up, and lets me know what she really thinks of my ideas."

I smile. Even I can't do that with Dylan. "Well it sounds like she could be a real bomb thrower if you ever married her. Puts a lot of pressure on you when a woman's like that. You sure you like that in a girl?"

Dylan laughs, lightly. "You should see her. Lizzy's strong willed, but not confrontational. She's laid back like me. I feel like she's my other half, like a missing puzzle piece. When we're together, we're connected. The physical tie is amazing. Now she's running away from me." Dylan frowns as if he's in physical pain.

"I doubt she's running away from you. Half the girls at school would throw themselves under a bus to get at you. Sounds like she's running away from her own ghosts. Not you."

Dylan stops strumming and puts down his guitar. "What did you say?"

"I said it sounds like she's sorting through her own shit. We've all got inner demons that haunt us. Why should she be any different?"

Dylan stands up, and rapidly starts packing away his guitar. "I never thought it might be something going on with her."

I sigh, "Yeah, well woman are complicated. Are you going to ask her to the dance?"

Dylan hesitates, then answers,"I don't dance."

I laugh at his discomfort. "It's not about you dancing with her, it's all about you romancing her! Ask her to go with you. That'll break the ice between you two. Besides, if you don't get out of this funk, it's gonna kill the band. Your playing's sucked since you two love birds had a fight."

Thank you for reading!👻