Katherine

Looking at Dylan and Jerry's immobile forms, I shout a warning at Madam Regina. "Something's wrong. They can't move... they're unable to speak!" I raise my voice, trying to be heard over the ruckus of the moving table and shaking pictures.

When I see the psychic's terrified face, I know I have to do something. Standing up, I grab the glowing orb off the table. Swiveling towards the window, I fling the evil thing with all my might towards the glass pane. My prayers are answered when I see the window shatter. Shards of glass fly everywhere as the hideous skull disappears into the night, demolishing the window like a wrecking ball. In the aftermath an eerie silence ensues. I'm not the only one shocked my desperate ploy worked.

"How did you do that? Why were you able to move?" Madame Regina is the first one to break the quiet, looking at me in awe. "You were all in a binding spell. I could feel it's terrible strength." She seems incredulous that I was able to chuck her evil skull outside.

"I don't know." Breathless, I watch the window, preparing to duck if the mocking skull boomerangs back in at us. Freed from their binding spell, Dylan and Jerry shake themselves with relief as if they've been unshackled from a deep dungeon.

We're all shocked when Madame Regina smooths her dress, motioning for us to sit back down. "We must continue. If these demons win, we'll never try again. They'll grow too strong. I don't need the skull to amplify the frequency I'm trying to open. I can do that the old fashioned way."

Pulling a sage bundle out of the cabinet, she smudges the room while I reluctantly return to my seat. I sincerely hope the pungent smoke, eerily seeping out of the broken window is taking all the residual demonic energy with it.

Nodding at us to stay calm, the medium picks up where she left off in the seance. This time she closes the Grimoire, while saying a prayer. Muttering, she ties it shut tight with brown string as if she's making a voodoo doll.

With the book secured, Madame Regina continues where she left off, determinedly making her voice strong and confident. If she's afraid some new terror will arrive in the aftermath, she's hiding it extremely well. "Katherine Stafford. We implore you to join us. Come back to our circle."

I wonder if Katherine will return after the demons chased her away, but within a few minutes, I feel her hesitant presence.  Gradually, her permeable form appears in the corner of the room. The same woman from the cemetery in a long, white dress, her hair hanging loosely about her pale face. My skin prickles with goose bumps as Katherine starts walking towards us, circling the table.

Quickly, Madame Regina motions for me to ask my questions. "Katherine, we need your help. What happened with your husband? Do you think he had anything to do with your murder?" I'm still cold and my teeth slightly chatter as I speak.

Katherine stops beside my chair, her apparition inches from me. "Beware Elizabeth, if you don't stop seeking answers, you're going to be possessed by one of these entities. You're a catalyst to this world, a portal which opens the door to their realm. Just like your mother."

👻
This chapter is dedicated to LjBunyipdoley . Check out her wonderful Australian themed tales, including her upcoming "The Crockerie Christmas Party" for a Holiday treat!