Heaven's Gate

Kali and my mother are locked in the throes of battle. The demon's face is twisted in anger as she gleefully grabs an axe, bludgeoning Kali with forceful thrusts.

Blair yells as she takes off down the hall. "You don't think she's not going to try to use that axe on us after she's done?"

"I don't care!" I call after her. "I should have helped her more when she was alive. This is my chance to save my mother's soul."

When I look back at the struggling figures, I see Kali rip the axe out of my demon mother's hand and viciously strike her down.

"Mom!" I run over to the bloodied figure and kneel over her mangled body. Holding her disfigured hand, I break down in tears. "I'm sorry I couldn't save you."

The bloodied creature's ragged breaths stop. Smoke rises from her body. My mother is lifeless, once again.  As I relive the horror of my mother's psychosis and her death, a crushing realization comes over me. This horrible creature is as physically close as I'm going to ever come to seeing her alive again. Tears fill my eyes, blurring my vision.

Suddenly, I feel a gentle hand on my shoulder. I'm enveloped in a warm, soothing energy. When I look up, I see Katherine's ethereal form bending over me. Smiling, she leans over and grabs my mother's hand. With a flick of her wrist, she pulls, as if she's lifting a sheet off a dummy. My mother's ethereal body floats up and lands in a standing position next to her. Young and beautiful again, she laughs delightedly. She's the carefree mother I always dreamed of having during my childhood.

With a shock, I realize Kali and the necklace are gone, but the Godesses' work here isn't done

With a shock, I realize Kali and the necklace are gone, but the Godesses' work here isn't done. A beautiful door opens. I can't contain my joy, because flowing out of it is the most radiant light I've ever seen. My mother and Katherine both smile at me, then turn and step into this heavenly light.

"Thank you for letting me see that, Kali." I whisper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A month's passed since the fiery night at the museum. Dylan and Mason's house is finally restored from the fire damage. They're living in their own home again, a development that's made Jerry extremely happy. Not only that, he was was also able to close the case on Katherine's murder. He gained a big promotion in the process. Today's Thanksgiving and were all sitting down to the bountiful feast Mason's cooked.

Dylan's in good spirits. He's almost fully recovered from being branded by the madman. I smile, handing him a carving knife for the turkey. His muscular body is still handsome despite the scars. "I can't believe we're finally back in our own home. Not that I didn't enjoy staying with you and Lizzy." He happily teases Julia, serving her first with a heaping plate of turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes ladled with gravy. As he's joking, he inadvertently knocks over a candle causing the  holiday centerpiece on the table to catch fire.

"Look who's burning things down now!" Mason shouts. He jumps to the rescue, damping out the fire.

"Here, here!" Julia toasts the chef and Mason's fireman skills, while she hugs Jerry. I've never seen her so happy. Drinking some champagne, I sigh with pleasure. This is the first time I've ever felt like I had a real family.

Dylan comes over and hugs me, discreetly whispering in my ear. "Lizzy, it's time we got our own place."

——————————-👻

Update: Continue Lizzie and Dylan's story as they move into their own apartment in, Ghosts, Blackbeard's Treasure" . Book two of the Ghost Duology. Happy Reading!