(1)

"Good morning, Hailey. Have fun?" Donna, the desk lady asks.

"I guess. Made $20. What time is it?" I ask.

"6:15. Go get some sleep! You have to be up in 15 minutes"

"Ok thanks, Donna"

"Anytime hon" 

Donna is a nice 61 year old women. She's worked here as long as I can remember and I've been here for 9 years. I run upstairs and fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

"Get up brats!" Carrie, the lady in charge yells.

"Yes, sir!" I sit up and salute her, tiredly.

"Very funny, Hailey" she deadpans.

"I know. I am pretty funny" I smile. She rolls her eyes and goes to the next room.

"What'd ya do last night?" Carli asks. I share a room with 3 other girls. 10 year old Carli, 6 year old Jane, and 15 year old Rachel. Rachel is my best friend along with 17 year old Zane and 16 year old Luke.

"Sang. Played some guitar. You know the usual" I shrug having trouble keeping my eyes open.

"How much did ya make?" Rach asks.

"20" 

"Awesome!" Jane exclaims.

"You guys wanna get some ice cream later?" I ask.

"Yeah! You're the best, Hails!" she hugs me.

"Yeah. Thanks, Hails! We would be miserable without you" Carli says.

"Aw! Thanks guys!"

"Hailey! Come quick!" Kyle says running into the room. He's 12.

"Kyle? What's wrong?!" I ask.

"It's Faith! She's choking!" 

"Where the hell is Carrie?!" I ask running to the nursery.

"We don't know" 

I get to the nursery. All of the kids followed me to see what was going on. I see Faith on the floor sitting next to the Legos, turning blue. Faith is Zane's 2 year old daughter.

"Go get Zane!" I order. I pick up Faith, put her over my knee, and hit her between the shoulder blades 3 times. She spits up a lego.

"Who let her play with tiny legos and didn't watch her!?" I ask.

"Hails, what's going on?" Zane asks running over to me. I hand Faith over to him.

"She was choking. She'll be fine now"

"Thank you so much!" He puts Faith down and hugs me.

"Carrie took her out of the crib, put her next to the Legos, her phone started ringing so she left" Jack says. He's 7.

"You're kidding me"

"No. I'm sorry I didn't be a good big brother" we all consider each other family. Well everyone except Carrie.

"It's not your fault, Jack. You're still learning"

"What are you all doing in here?" Carrie asks angrily.

"Why didn't you fucking watch her?! She could've died because you decided a phone call was more important than a 2 year old! It's your fucking job not an option, you bitch!" I scream. She slaps me across the face and I hold my face in shock.

"If it wasn't for me you would be just like your mother! Dead! Do not speak like that to me ever you ungrateful bitch! I will send you away as fast as I can if something like this ever happens again!" she screams back.