The alpha of 27th july 1990

Friday 27th July 1990, started off as a sunny peaceful day in my country. What could possibly go wrong on a glorious day like today.

Trinbagoians where in their glee, as our national soccer team were about to take on the United States of America, in a World Cup qualifier at our National Stadium.

National pride was running high as most citizens wore the red, black and white, in support of the Strike Squad( the name of the team at that time).

One may ask what can possibly go wrong?

Well, an event that shook the country to it core happened that said evening, as a gentleman about six feet five inches in stature would lead the only ever revolution to happen in the English speaking Caribbean in twenty first century.

And live to tell the tale.

We begin with the words uttered to the nation by him on that fatal evening.

" At six thirty pm this afternoon, the government of Trinidad and Tobago was overthrown".

Said the man with the grey Marvin gaye on his head, surrounded by five serious looking men armed to the tee.

With those words my country descended into the abbess of no return.

From that time to present my country has seen an influx of arms,ammunition and murders that would make our ancestors cry blood.

To some this had become and end to a means, after years of oppression this a course of action had become necessary.

Every Friday the right to freedom of religion was trampled upon .

Those responsible, were the ones sworn to uphold the sanctity of this basic human rights.

" GET ON THE GROUND" as men dressed in blue and grey and camouflage would shout as their sacred ground invaded.

"Beng, beng ,beng" men, women and children would hit the ground, as some of them are hit with " stray" bullets from the Uzi submachine guns legally issued to them.

But before we go forward lets go back to four years.

In the year 1986 Trinidad and Tobago land of calypso, carnival and crystal clear blue sea water .

A paradise , the gem of the Caribbean, was a scene of the inpending changing of the guardians so to speak.

For the ruling political party, the one who led us to both our independence and eventually republicanism.

Had lost the confidence of the people.

A people who were as loving and carefree, but not blind or naive or oblivious to how the leaders were governing their affairs and the increasing levels of poverty and unemployment.

These minute elite, who would later on in our history became known a the one percent, could be seen hanging out in premier night spots.

Eating the best dishes and driving the best cars, on an island of 1.18 million people and 5.128 square kilometer.

Where from Toco to Chagaramas from Icacos to Maracus every one knows every one.

And news travels faster than the blink of your eyes.

The working and middle classes knew that they were being treated unfairly.

Something had to be done.