The Road To Success

Having sent his second son and his second to last son, to Kensington University in England. To complete their tertiary education in Law and Business administration, in the early part of the 21st century.  

They came back around 2007 having completed their respective degrees, his oldest son was already a qualified Accountant.

All of them and three other young brothers born on the compound, had years earlier had gone to the Libyan University where they completed degrees in Islamic studies.

By 2010, the majority of young persons born in the eighties, and were relatively young during the years before and after 1990, were qualified and specialist in their respective fields.

Who would believe that children left fatherless for two years, while their fathers were in prison. Would in fact defy social stigma, that children especially males, whose father has been or is imprisoned may follow in their footsteps.

May 24th 2010, brought another election. This was an election with a difference.

The difference was,  instead of the three political parties contesting  this elections, ten more parties joined the race for control of  the government.

Among those parties were a fairly new but old party.

This party was formed by the Imam in the eighties, the name, The New National Vision. The Imam second son who became a qualified Lawyer, not only had a love for politics, but also shared with his father a love for helping the oppressed and down trodden.

Decided  to take up the fight, this time in a legal way. 

Seeing the need for fresh young faces, as the old vanguards of the political arena, time had expired.

Therefore the re branded New National Vision was launched.

The party consisted of a majority of young  professionals, and campaigned on the grounds of eliminating corruption, while appealing to the young and up and coming population.

Also the down trodden and oppressed,  the party concentrated in the constituencies, where poverty and lack of government assistance was the order of the day.

The incumbent P.N.M  were surely on their way out and this was made evident, on the night of the date mentioned at the beginning of the chapter.

When a coalition of the U.N.C and five other parties formed what is now known as the Peoples Partnership.

Even though the N.N.V didn't receive any seats, the party became recognised as a political party.

The campaign trail for the N.N.V was not a bed of roses,  as a group of men was held with an assault rifle in a house in Carenage and when their car was searched two boxes of N.N.V jerseys was found.

The Police not having all the facts held a press conference and tried to make it looked like there was a plan to disrupt the general elections by the party.

This claim was refuted by the leader  of  the party in a press conference he held.

In the months after the elections, the Imam and by extension the Jamaat had another hurdle to face.

In September a Coroner investigating a murder, in which the Imam was named ruled that a preliminary inquiry, should be started against the Imam and the same state witness against him in the conspiracy to murder trial.

Again the Imam was placed behind bars, and this time their was no guarantee he would be released unless he was cleared.

After a month and a half behind bars, the state realized they did not have a solid case to proceed, so they eventually discontinued the case against both men.

As it was revealed that the said witness,  now his co accused was tricked into signing a statement he never read because he was illiterate.

The Imam walked out the Port of Spain Magistrate Court a free man once again.

The road to success is never easy, there are always obstacles placed to in  the way, to make a person or community stronger.