What Next

Saturday 28th July 1990 did not begin like any normal Saturday. The Country was still reeling in shock of the previous evening.

That morning with a level of uncertainty surrounding the entire country(Including the insurgents and their hostages).

The Acting President Emmanuel Carter, appeared on tv from Camp Ogden, to inform the nation that the country was now under martial law.

And a curfew of 12 hours from 6pm to 6am in the entire country, except in downtown Port Of Spain, which included around the Red House and environs to be 22 hours was imposed, as this area was most affected by fires and looting.

May I just add that our sitting President Mr Justice Noor Hassanali S.C, the only ever East Indian Muslim descendant, to ever hold the highest office in the land was out of the country on holiday which he usually took at this time of year.

Also that morning, Mr Winston Dookeran Minister of Planing and Mobilization was finally released to begin negotiations.

The Imam said years later that the reason Mr Dookeran was chosen to lead the investigation was because he was thought to be the only incorruptible Politician that was inside the Parliament.

Cannon Knolly Clarke an Anglican Priest was requested by the Imam as well as he was an upstanding just man of character.

It was like this the negotiations started with Misters Dookeran and Clarke going back and forth from the Red House to Camp Ogden.

Another Member of Parliament Mr Leo Des Vignes, who was shot during the course of attack on the Red House. Was also released as well and take to the hospital, where he subsequently died.

The only N.A.R casualty in the revolution.

The members Cabinet who didn't attend the sitting of the Lower House on Friday, convened a meeting that day as well in Camp Ogden the home of the infantry battalion of the army.

As with any threat to the national security and stability of a country, our only International airport, was closed until further notice for all commercial flights.

The question on every citizen mind on this day was what's next.