The Saviour walks among us

My beloved country has seen it fear share of  revolutions, "civil unrest " to be politically correct.

In post Independent Trinidad and Tobago, the Black Power Movement of the 1970's was the only one so far.

Trinbagoians would use this line of action, when all else failed.

One may ask what do I mean by all else?.

The first action  is to speak out against  the "ills of society" .

From 1987, the common man was literally voicing his opinion against what they felt needed to be changed.

This led to the second action, when speaking alone is not enough.

The time to talk and march seemed liked the best plan.

So the trade unions, together with other non governmental groups, came to gether under the moniker Summit Of People Organisation(SOPO), started to protest by marching through the streets of Port-of-Spain.

Among the groups was a small yet noticeable group.

They called themselves the Jamaat al Muslimeen(congregation of Muslims).

A predominantly afro-Trinidadian  Muslims, led by an ex police officer turned Imam(Muslim Cleric).

Lennox Phillips now know as Yasin Abu Bakr a Diego Martin native, left Trinidad in the late 60's for Canada.

While studying Engineering in the early 70's he reverted to Islam.

Upon returning to Trinidad in the early 80's,  he  was instrumental in unifying the Muslims of afro-Trinidadian decent under one banner.

A charismatic leader he wasted no time is championing the cause of the poor and oppressed.

Just like Malcom X, his brand of eloquent yet vibrant teachings, appealed to the younger generation, and the masses.

Most did not know that just like Dagga  had come to educate afro- Trinidadians in 1970.

The Saviour was already walking amongst us.