A Divided Family

No sooner had the N.A.R  won the election. Than problems started to arise. We trinis like to say trouble in camp.

Bolting out the starter's box onto the track was a series fiscal austerity measures, together with salaries cuts of 10 percent and increasing taxes.

For instance Value Added Tax was increased  by 2.5 percent, bring it to 15 percent.

Then to add insult to injury  the N.A.R  did something that would seal their faith.

They made a decision to stop the Cost Of Living Adjustment(C.O.L.A) which had been a great help to the working man.

The high of support and goodwill the new government was riding on, was no more.

Instead  the masses who put them where they were, was now wanted their " head on a silver platter".

Apart from that the once loving family,  had begun fighting among themselves.

Some of the founding members of the party, dissatisfied with the way the party was being led.

Decided the only  best option that was presented to them was to leave.

Some started their own party, while others took other career paths.

Among those who left was Mr Basdeo Panday, who we will  discuss in a later chapter.

He formed and led the United National Congress a predominantly Indo Trinidad party. 

Among those who left was Karl Hudson Phillips S.C ( Senior Counsel ) another founding member of the N.A.R.

Mr Hudson Phillips was also an estinguished jurist, that help  formulate the Constitution of Trinidad and Tobago.

As in every organisation, there were those who disagree and those who are die hard loyalist.

Among those were Mr Carson Charles, Minister of Works . Also Ministers Selwyn Richardson and John Humphrey, the first National Security and the latter of Works also.

With all these problems the collapse of the Government was impending.

A saviour needed to rise up and "save" the poor man and lower middle class.