Tough Times Ahead

Then in October of 1987, amongst all the demonstrations and cleaning up of the drug trade. An event happened that would cement the Imam's decision to take a course of action that had never been taken before.

A Woman Police Constable Bernedette James of the narcotics division, was on duty at the Piarco International Airport.

Where she walked into the V.I.P lounge, and stumbled upon a Minister of Government, a Government Advisor and an Army Major sitting at a table with a kilo of cocaine on the table.

In shock she quickly excused herself and left the room immediately.

What happened after was like a scene from a movie.

Not long after her accidental find, the order came down to have her transfered to the San Juan Police Station and placed on traffic duties.

Knowing this was not going to end good, she went to the Imam a Saturday and told him what she saw at the Airport.

He being the man he is assured her that no harm will come her way.

Three days after that meeting, she got a call telling her she was to go on a training session in Tucker Valley.

While on the bus filled with her co workers, she was shot in her head from a gun that had live ammunition.

This silenced her for good.

The Imam said in a later speech, said "that this senseless hit, caused him many sleepless nights and he felt the need even more to act"

Going as far as to say he asked his wife what should he do. She asked him "is he a man or a manicou". Something like this should not go unoticed .

To add insult to injury, Imam Abu bakr was arrested many times for various offenses, from contempt of court to holding illegal demonstrations.

Trying times ahead for the Imam and the Jamaat Al Muslimeen.