Negotiations Afoot

Just like Saturday, Sunday was shaping up to be the same.

The whole country was under martial law still, which meant that the army  had direct control of the functions of government and also becomes precepted. Meaning they now had the authority to arrest and charge any civilian.

The curfew imposed the day before had now been extended from 12 hours to 18 hours(6pm to 12noon) through out the country. While in downtown around the Red House and environs was 24 hours, T.T.T was also extended to 22 hours(3pm to 1pm).

I could clearly remember my cousins and I, playing outside from lunch time till five minutes to 6pm, when my grand mother would hurry us inside. As green land rover jeeps would be passing periodically in our suburban neighborhood in Valsayn.

One interesting action did indeed happen on this day, after two day in captivity the hostages from Radio Trinidad was released and the station was allowed to use Camp Ogden to resume their broadcast.

With the negotiation under way, the editor in chief of t.t.t, one, Mr Jones P Madeira was to communicate  with either the Red House or Radio Trinidad through urgent appeals. To ensure the safety of the staff that was being held under the gun.

Another interesting event was that all the Ministers who were not held hostages or captured, appeared on tv  to reassure the nation that the government was still intact.

With the signal still jammed,  the Imam was very upset, had kept sending messages to Camp Ogden for the army  to stop jamming the television transmission, so his plight could be heard internationally so his community could be help.

Going as far as to say that if this demand, was not met, he would place explosives on each hostage and blow them up.

The atmosphere was still tense as no official agreement could have been reached after three days. 

As both the insurgents or the government/armed forces had any trust for one another.