Changing of the Guardians

Then came the moment of truth, on the 15th of December 1986 " the voice of the people is the voice of God".

Local palance, which means the will of the population in its entirety was achieved.

The People National Movement, who had produced the late Dr Eric Williams "our beloved statesman who freed us from our English oppressors " and Mr George Chambers who our citizenry referred to as"duncey" head Chambers. Who took over the regins in 1981 after the father of the nation had died.

His task was not easy as falling oil prices threaten the economy. All in all he managed to keep the country afloat    without any major incidents for the five years he " captained the ship" (ran the country).

Now the citizens decided it was time for a change.

For the first time in our history of 26 years as a independent nation, and 10 years as a sovereign nation.

Had the P.N.M not won over 50 percent of the votes .

This time a party made up of P.N.M dissidents and independent parties had come together under the name of the National Alliance for Reconstruction.

The leader was no other than, the Tobago son of the soil Arthur N Robinson.

The N.A.R entered the halls of Parliament with broad national support and goodwill.

They also pride themselves on being the first multi racial party. Whereas the P.N.M were considered predominantly for the afro Trinidadian.

There funding though came from the Syrian Trinidadian community who had been working their way up the financial ladder of the classes.

They would fund the party, and what ever favour they wanted from the government in return would be granted.

Along with friends and family of those, who swore to be impartial in their decisions and actions.

So unenviably corruption was from the get go of independence and republicanism a major fixture of the government.

Not being blinded by the propaganda of the ruling government, an the glaring abuses of power flaunting, a lesson had to be taught.

Like the months of May/June, when the Julie mangoes are ripe for picking in what is referred to as mango season.

The time was right for a fresh positive change to the persons, who we elected to serve us with humility. Not the other way around.

Therefore the ones who were the guardians of our democracy for the last thirty years just had to go.

The middle and working classes made no joke about this on that December date.