They Will Never Stop

In mid 2003 their was turmoil. Some members among them, a son in law and two adopted children of the Imam was expelled from the Mosque for spreading rumors and creating confusion against the Imam.

What transpired after the expulsion was a chaos, which in turned lead to a opening, for the act of murder and attempted murder to be committed by individuals still unknown to this day.

While in Movie Town the undermentioned persons were shot at resulting in one of their girlfriend's dying and a friend paralysed from the waist down.

As usual the Imam became the number one suspect, and he was eventually charged for conspiracy to commit murder.

The case went on trial for a year and a half approximately.

Then in 2005 there was a mis- trial and he eventually was acquitted of the charge, when his lawyer brought hard evidence where he was at work in the state owned oil refinery Petrotrin in south at the time the alleged witnesses (who confessed to have played a part in the shooting) said that they were in a meeting with him in Diego Martin.

Then in November of 2005 on Eid ul Fitr, the Imam gave a sermon about the Zakat the third pillar of  faith in Islam.

He stated that the rich muslims in our society were not upholding the  tenants of Islam. He went on to say that if they did not want to pay they would be forced to pay. Also that there will be bloodshed as well.

The authorities were only waiting  on another excuse to do what they could not do for years, since 1990.

A week after the sermon  Police descended  the Imam, taking him into custody for questioning. They then proceeded to descend on the compound of the Mosque and homes also businesses of brothers as well.

When the dust settled the Imam and two young brothers were charged.

The Imam charges ranged from Sedition, arms and ammunition, trying to collect money by menace and inciting violence.

On the arms and ammunition charges, he was jointly charged with the two young brothers and it was eventually drop against him. The other charges still stood.

Being laid indictable, a Judge in chambers denied him bail base on a video he saw of men excersing their right to freedom of religion.
But
The Imam spent 11 months in prison and solitary confinement, before he was able to get bail, in October of 2006.

His famous words when he got out was that" jail can either send you crazy or to your lord.

Interesting fact to note their was a bombing of a dustbin in St James earlier that year and the powers that be tried to pin it on the Jamaat.

The Imam sat in the Police Station until they released the seven youths they had detain in connection to the bombing, this happened during the month of fasting and those youths were breaking fast when the bomb went off.