Chapter 1

"You're new here, aren't you?" "Yeah." "Well for future references don't bother me with anything even with questions or else." Zurie started walking again when Polly and Steven came up. "Debbie and so called friends are like that, but it's true on what she says. One time I saw her shove a student into the well there; whatever you do don't upset her. Sorry my name is Polly and this is my friend Steven." "Zurie." "Interesting name." "I get that a lot." "Anyway you were looking for the office right?" "Yeah." "Let's go. Steven?" "Sure I'll tag along." "thanks guys."

"You got everything quickly didn't you?. Sometimes it takes a moment. Let's see who you're sharing a room with.. Yay, you're my new room mate." "Cool." "Forewarn Debbie from earlier is our next door neighbor." "Oh." "Yeah... Let's see your schedule: math, science, lunch, English, and gym. I'm in your math and English class." "Awesome. What about Steven? Is he in any of our classes?" "No." "Maybe next year." "Yeah. I'll show you to our dorm room." "Okay, thanks." "No problem. Hey after you get settled do you want go see a movie with Steven and me?" "Sure. Why not. See you around six?" "How about four? The campus forbids us to walk off campus after seven." "Well ok then four it is. See you at the gate." "Bye, have fun unpacking." "Uh-huh."

"So what movie do you want to see?" "Don't know, let's see when we get there." "Steven are you coming?" "Yeah. See ya later Kevin." "how about you, do you have any idea what we should watch?" "I don't remember what's out.?" "Well I guess we will see when we get there."

"So what do you guys want watch before we're next?" "How about Pirates of England?" "Yeah, I heard it was good and full of adventure." "I'll buy the tickets. Steven and Zurie go take care of snacks and drinks." "Aye, aye miss." "Steven and I will go take care of it now." "Kay, be there in like two minutes."

"So I guess we got get back to campus?" "Yeah.. That was a good movie." In unison Zurie and Polly said "it was." "Zurie what are you doing tomorrow? Polly and I don't know yet, but we might visit my older sister; she lives close by." "Tomorrow, Sunday. Well on Sundays I go to church, for a jog, and then volunteer somewhere." "Uh." "Don't worry I'll be back before six thirty or seven." "No it's not that, but good to remember. I was going to say that's interesting. Where do you volunteer?" "It varies: homeless shelter, soup kitchen, hospital, or animal rescues." "Wow." "Do you always volunteer there? I mean there are other places too." "I know. Sometimes I volunteer at a library or tutor. Basically anything if possible and hopefully in reach, for example we just passed a library and veterinary clinic." "Oh." "Before I arrived at Berchem's college I found a hospital, library, church, and soup kitchen that is about 5-10 minutes away." "What about that veterinary clinic the one we just passed?" "I could, but it's nearly 20 plus minutes away from the college plus I volunteered at a vet last time. I change my volunteer each year sometimes a month." "I see. Well I guess it keeps you occupied." "I don't see it that way, I like doing volunteer work, but yeah I guess it does keep you busy. If you want join me let me know." In a semi-unison Steven and Polly both said "okay."

"Leaving early aren't you?" "Yeah; church service starts early. Are you sure you don't want join me, even if it's later?" "Where are you volunteering at?" "The Berchem's hospital." "Uh maybe next month or year. I don't like to see blood in a bag and or needles." "Oh; well I'll see you later. Have fun with Steven's sister." "You also have fun, see ya."

"We got another college volunteer!" "Another?" "Yes. We sometimes have likely two or three volunteers, one is a regular volunteer here." "Can I help out with the kids if possible? Unless there's a volunteer already there." "Go ahead. Now if a doctor or nurse ask you what are you doing or asks what your relation is tell them.." "I'm a volunteer." "Yes, the children's ward is on the second floor." "Thanks." Kids are full of spirit, their family seem a bit scared and yet hopeful. "Bye everyone, I'll see you all maybe tomorrow." All the kids said 'bye.' On the way out the receptionist said "miss that fellow there is the other volunteer, I think his name is Ray." "Oh." Zurie walked up behind him and said "are you Ray?" "Yes. Why?" "No reason. The receptionist said that was your name." "You were..?" "I'm new in this town, but I like to volunteer at places like the hospital." "Welcome uh-" "Zurie." "Interesting name." "I get that a lot." "Well uh welcome Zurie. So where are you going?" "Back to the college." "Since I have nothing else to do and also heading to the college may I walk back with you?" "That's a silly question since we're heading to the same place, but of course you can."

All the way back to the college Zurie and Ray was full of conversation, "thanks Ray.. Hey if you don't mind let's chat again." "Okay." "Zurie!" Zurie looked behind her to see Polly running and Steven close behind. "Polly, Steven." "Ray?" "Hiya." "So how was your day?" Said Polly. "It was fine and I got to meet a new friend I think." "Yeah.. Zur I'll see you tomorrow at lunch unless we have class together." "Okay, good night then." Ray left as Zurie, Steven, and Polly started walking and talking. "You get a weird vibe from him?" "Yeah. Didn't you?" "No." "Give it a few days.. So tomorrow is your first day of school. Nervous?" "Nah." "Why would she be nervous?" Asked Steven. "Good point there.. See ya tomorrow. "Yeah." "Good night." "Night y'all." Steven left for his dorm, Polly and Zurie continued to talk even after arriving at their dorm room.