Chapter 3

"I'm back." "So how was the kids?" "They were happy to see me, but sad to hear I could only stay a couple hours. Did you finish your homework?" "Yeah. Why, you want copy it? Note it's not gonna happen." "No just asking and I have a policy; to never copy other people homework even if they insist. Notes on the other hand varies, I might or might not copy and just study myself.. I'll be doing my homework now." "Oh."

"Hey I'll be back, I need to return something to a teacher." "You can't go to the classroom they're lock." "Well I'll take it to the teacher's room and hope the teacher is awake. Be back soon." Zurie then left for the teacher's building which was sort of next to the girl's building; Mr. Young, Mr. Young "Ah here it is." Zurie knocked, but nobody answered although Zurie did hear some sort of humming or singing so Zurie took the knob, opened the door and walked in. "Hello. Anyone there?" No one answered, just humming. Zurie walked to the balcony door, but she didn't expect to see some sort of bigfoot. Without warning the bigfoot stopped and moved a little and then saw Zurie. "Zurie." Frightened Zurie dropped the textbook and ran away, the bigfoot tried to go after her, but she was already out the door.

"Zurie are you alright?" "Yeah. I was just rushing to get back after all we got classes tomorrow." "Oh." "Well I'll see you tomorrow, good night." Even though Zurie went to bed she had little to no sleep with questions buzzing around her head. As the sun started rising and peeping through Polly's and her room Zurie thought let's get up and ready for the day, because of a bad night doesn't mean... "You're up early. Maybe I should try to wake early too." "Yeah. Although I don't stay in the room. I go for a small jog, take a shower, eat breakfast, and get everything ready for the day." "Uh.. Really early riser aren't you?" I guess you can say that, I get up when the sun rises or sometimes when it starts shining through our windows." "I see, well let's go I'm ready." "Okay."

When lunch and English finally arrived, Zurie seemed happy although curious about the English teacher who supposedly just came back from a conference or seminar of some sorts. "Ray, Zurie can you come see me later?" Both nodded their heads, after class Zurie came up, "not now. I don't want you to be late for your class." "Actually I was going to ask if it can be around seven. I volunteer at the hospital, I told the kids that I-" "Alright I'll see you then. Now get going before you're late." "Thanks." The moment gym let out Zurrie hurried; for these few days it felt like a regular routine for Zurie all accept for being asked to see the teacher.

"So what did Mr. Young want?" "I didn't see him yet. I asked if we could talk later." "Later?" "Yes, which will be now so.." "Ok." Zurie walked to the teacher's building and found Mr. Young's room again. After knocking Mr. Young opened the door, Zurie came in and took a glance over at the balcony. "Zurie." "Ray?" "Why do you seem so surprised?" "Just that I thought you already.." "No." "Zurie I heard you came over last night?" "I did to return your textbook." "It didn't need to. I left it in the classroom so the substitute could give it to, but when I returned the textbook was found on the floor of my room. Why?" "Because." "Because why?" "Just because." "Ray." Ray moved toward the door as Mr. Young moved to the opened balcony. "Last night you did see what you thought; it wasn't a dream, but that was not me, my nephew." Right before Zurie's eyes Mr. Young transformed into a gargoyle. "My family has a curse all of us transforms every other night. For me I turn into a gargoyle as you can see." Ray moved a little, just enough for Zurie to realize that he was still there. "Ray did.. Did you-" "I'm his nephew. I didn't mean to scare you last night.. Like my uncle said every other night, last night you saw my uh cursed transformation." "Do you honestly believe that I will-" "So are you saying that you dropped your textbook because you didn't or did see a bigfoot?" "You. I-I didn't say anything, I promise." "I know, but you also lost sleep. I saw that you were tired at lunch and English. To let you know we, our family don't hunt or kill anyone. I'm sorry I scared you." "It's not all her fault, she heard you humming." "True." "You still talk? I mean.." "Yes. We can talk even if we're in our form. I asked you here to ask if you could keep our family's secret. Can you?" "Of course I will. Why is Ray here?" "I wanted to talk to you too about this curse and apologize. Hopefully we can still be friends." "Of course we can still be friends and I accept your apology. If you don't mind me asking, but can't you find a way to break your family's curse?" "I'm not sure. The one who placed the curse gave our family a piece of paper with numbers. At first they thought it was coordinates or some future thing, but now we all just think it's rubbish." "May I see it." "Of course. Ray in my closet in that little box on the shelf." "It's here?" "Usually it's home, but some things came up." "I see." "Weird isn't it?" "To you it might be weird, but to me it looks normal I mean if I'm thinking what I think it is." "What are you talking about? It's just numbers, nothing more." "To you, but to me a letter maybe. That is if you decipher it correctly." "Decipher?" "Yeah. My father and grandmother taught me a lot ways to see and make ciphers including deciphering them." "Can you see if you can do so with this?" "Yes, but can I have another piece of paper so I won't ruin this." "Ray get her some blank paper." "You want her to try now?" "Why not? Just give me about ten minutes, I'll be able to say what it is." "That's fast." "Like I said my father and grandmother taught me since I was little."

Ray gave her a piece of paper and Zurie started deciphering, within five minutes she knew it was a cipher and in about fifteen minutes she was done deciphering it. "Here it's done." "Done?" "Yes. It was a cipher and now it's deciphered." "What is it? Ray read it." "I'm sorry I think I'll go back to my room." "Wait why? And what about the numbers that are circled?" "If I don't go Polly might come looking for me, besides this is between your family. As for the circled numbers you can call or text me them in order when the time comes." "Zurie is right let her go." "see you tomorrow then." "Good night Ray and Mr. Young. I hope it has your answer." "Thank you Miss. Walker." "Yeah thanks Zurie." "No problem, bye."At lunch Zurie thought Ray might say something but didn't, it was to and from the hospital that Ray said little of it. "Can we talk more later in my uncle's room, I know that you may be hesitant so I'll understand if you don't-" "No I will come." "Okay.?" "You may look different, but that doesn't define you. You are still you no matter what." "Later then. Maybe when you're done your homework?" "Sure." While Zurie did her homework Polly and her chatted some until Zurie at last finished. "Hey Polly I'm going to walk the grounds for awhile ok." "Fine." To Polly Zurie was going to walk around, but didn't no it was a cover up so Zurie could meet up with Ray in Mr. Young's room. "It's Zurie." Mr. Young opened the door. "Where's Ray ?" "Over there in that corner. It's dark over there so if by chance someone comes by they won't notice and if they do they think it's a stuffed statue." "I see, smart and sounds cool." "It does." "Hey Zurie." "Hey." "Well uh I'm glad I didn't scare you this time." "I didn't know then." "True." "So what about the thing I deciphered?" "We called our family, they want thank you for your help and they're checking their house for a locked chest." Mr. Young interjected repeating the memorized clue, 'A locked chest with a key nearby you may open and find my box that holds the secret.' "oh. Did anyone find a locked chest?" "Not yet. Sorry please excuse me." "Of course." While Zurie and Ray talked Bruce, Mr. Young took his phone call. "Ray! That was your cousin Luke he found a locked chest, it was passed down from father to son or daughter." "Congratulations." "Don't congratulate us yet, there might be more and we haven't opened it yet." "Well still." "Zurie where does Polly think you are?" "Walking the grounds, so I can stay a little longer. Are you and your family going to see that chest?" "Yes, maybe this weekend. Would you want come with us? I'm sure our family would want meet you." "Sorry I can't I'm meeting my father about something. He says he has something for me, that it is passed down." "Oh, well I hope you have fun I guess." Said Ray. "Thanks, you too." Zurie looked at the clock and back to Ray, "I think it's best I get back to my room. Good night Ray and Mr. Young." "You too." "Yes, good night Miss. Walker."