Chapter 9

"Zurie are you sure your alright?" "Yes I'm fine." "Then why do you want to stay here for a few more days? You've been here since-" "I know, about four and half days." "Yeah." "I' m staying here so I can meet Mildred. If I say those words again and I faint like before.. What do you think others will say?" "That's true, but-" "If I go to school and stay in Mr. Young's room everyone will wonder what's going on and why. This is the best idea I can come up with." "Ray." "Mom are you agreeing with her?" "Yes. No one will bother her nor will be scared or wonder like Miss. Walker said." "If-If we get you to Bruce's room unseen will you do your meeting thing there?" "Probably not." "Why not?!" "What if someone comes in looking for Mr. Young and finds me? That will raise questions. I think me staying here will be safer." "What about school and such?" "Mr. Young will be bringing me homework and my textbooks." "What! He also knows and agrees, this is crazy.! Do you know that?" "It is I guess, but at least I won't be making people worry and I'll be able to meet with Mildred and do my classwork on my time. Whether you visit me or not is your choice. If you do come visit me I'll be in this same room." "Do whatever you want." Ray left leaving his mom and Zurie, "don't mind him. I'm sure he'll be back when he thinks it through." "Yeah, probably."

"Mrs. Collins I think I'll visit Mildred now." "Ok, be careful." "Nothing will happen." Like last time Zurie did faint, but to Zurie she was in a parallel universe sitting in front of Mildred. "I see you are well now." "I am." "Now I'm not sure if you believe about that curse-" "I believe. In fact I'm in their hospital, they built and own it. I'm a student of one and a friend of one, I learned about their curse by accident." "I suppose they also read that letter in the locked chest and box?" "Yes." "I know you want break their curse, but before I tell you I want to show you how I died and how they became cursed." Mildred showed Zurie as if she was actually there in person. "Those people who killed me and my family are the ones I cursed. Before my last breath I cursed them." "Who was that girl that got away." "My daughter. She had a dream, so I took her dream and displayed it on the wall. It was a vision of the future, at the time my daughter only had visions she wasn't going to get her powers. Almost everyone has a gift in our family nothing bad but there are rare people in the family that could do more, be a witch. My power was similar to hers but I foretold happiness and love with little spells. When I saw that vision I prepared for it even learned that curse. I could of became a witch and live forever but they killed me before I casted that spell. Remember that I said there are rare family members you are, not just because you could come here but the deciphering the letters and more, you'll be a great witch some day if you choose that path." "Choose?" "Yes, but before I say anything else I want to know what year it is.?" "2000" "It's been about 150 years." "Wow. I want break their curse, it's been a long time for them." "I know you do. What is your name?" "Zurie." "Zurie I'll tell you how to break their curse, there's two ways. First death-" "Death?!" "After you marry into their family and give birth you'll die. The second choice is to live forever." "Huh?" "If you decide to live forever you'll be a witch, you would have to cast a high ranking spell to become one for example saying a spell to release the family's curse. You can decide now, but choose wisely." "What if and I mean what if I chose to be a witch and then marry into the family will anything happen?" "No. I can see you're not dating anyone right now." "How can you tell and how do you speak so modern?" "Magic, you can say I learned over the years each time my letter was passed down." "Oh.. Mildred or grandma can you teach me how to do that magic thing, read or see about that person?" "Call me what makes you comfortable. I am going to teach you that, reading minds. I don't want that family to try to win you over and what not." "Thanks." For a few hours Mildred taught Zurie little tricks about reading thoughts or actually seeing them without saying anything or a little gesture.

"Zurie I think your friend is waiting for you." "What? How can you tell?" Mildred waved her hand horizontal and the floor turned invisible to see Zurie's body and "Ray.. Yeah he's my friend. I'll see you later." "Why not tomorrow? I'm sure you might have something to do and I imagine your body might feel stiff. Remember to think what we've talked about and your choice." "I know, good night." Zurie then returned to her body which was indeed a little sore. "Ray." "You're back? I just got here." "I know Mildred told me you were here, she showed me." "How long have you been uh out or meeting with her?" "Since you left for school. If you don't mind lets walk for a bit, my body is a little sore." "Fine." "How was school?" "Alright, same as usual.. I still mean what I said earlier, I'm only here for Bruce. He wanted me to drop some stuff off for you." "So you're still mad I guess? If you are you can go." "I am a little mad I guess, but I also agree with you too.. That reminds me did.. Mildred was it? Did she tell you how to break the curse?" "Yes and yes." "How?" "I-I. It's complicated, so lets say I need to think carefully." "Think about what? Are you saying you don't want to break the curse?" "No!" "Then what is it?" "It's-It's something I need to think about carefully. Trust me though I will break your family's curse." "I do trust you.. Just that I don't see why you have to think about it. Why can't you tell me?" "It's a little complicated so I'll just say this.. I have two choices-" "Choices?" "Yes I need to make one so I can break your family's curse." "Lets hear the choices." "First, death. Second, become a witch forever." "What! That's- That's crazy!" "Maybe, but that's why I need to think carefully." "I see, but death come on. If it was me I'd choose witch forever." "Thanks for your opinion." "Hey did I tell you that Debbie did another project and that at least 20 points was taken off." "No, why?" "Bruce told her he heard what Debbie said and did to you that night, so he gave her choices." "I see, but how did he say he heard Debbie say that and me in the closet?" "Security camera. And no he doesn't have one there." "Oh.. Hm, I wonder." "What?" "Nothing, just thinking. Ray thanks for bringing my stuff." "No problem." "It's getting late, you better head back." "No it's fine. Tonight isn't my night, It's Bruce's and my mom's night." "Oh. Well then stay if you want, but you'll be waking up early to get to school tomorrow." "I know, I just want to be sure you'll be sleeping tonight and won't be meeting Mildred. You need sleep tonight." "Don't worry I'm not, I'll be sleeping tonight." "Good." "Lets do our homework."

That night while Ray was sleeping and Zurie was still trying fall asleep Carol flew in. "Mrs. Collins." "Sorry if I woke you." "You didn't. I'm just having a hard time falling asleep." "That doesn't look like it's the only thing on your mind." "It's not, I'm thinking about something Mildred said to me." "Think about it tomorrow, if Ray wakes and sees you still awake or tomorrow you have beds he'll be worried. Is it something you need figure out now or do you have time?" "I got time." "Then take all the time in the world after all if you try think about whatever it is immediately you may choose something you wish you haven't." "True." "Zurie if you don't mind me saying this as a mother I think Ray has feelings for you although he might not know. From a doctors point of view your health and energy is important especially since you got over a cold." "Really?" "Yes." "I'll try get some sleep. Night Mrs. Collins." "Good night." The next morning while Ray was trying to gather his stuff Zurie woke up and made a gesture so she could see what Ray was thinking. "Sorry.. Did I wake you up?" "No. Ray!" "Yeah?" "What do you think of me? I mean do you like me?" "As a friend." "No, that's not what I mean. Do you have a crush on me?" "What! Why? Did my mom say something?" "No, just that the way you act. It feels as if you're saying I'm your girlfriend." "Oh, sorry.. Uh I got go, we'll finish this later. Bye. Go back to sleep." "Bye."

After waking up again and eating breakfast Zurie went back to visit Mildred. "Good morning Zurie." "Mildred." "As you already know I can read minds including yours." "I know." "Interesting. I at first can't tell whether you made up your mind, but now I see you are still unsure." "Yes." "As for teaching you some magic I'll do that, but let me remind you if you use a big high ranking spell like I did you'll be a witch forever. I was killed before I used that spell thus I couldn't of been a witch forever." "I see." "I'll teach you low level magic that won't let you be a witch forever. If you do decide to be one then I'll teach you the higher magic spells." "Alright, thanks."

When Zurie just got back into her body Ray appeared. "Hey Ray." "You're back early." "No not really. I just got back." "Oh. So what did Mildred and you talk about?" "Nothing big. She's going to teach me low level magic.. We both decided about it, if I decide to be a witch forever witch then she'll teach me advanced magic." "Oh, sounds good." "How was school?" "Before we get to that lets continue-" "no it's fine. Mildred did teach me one thing and that's how to see anyone's thoughts. I used it today, before you went to school and since you left to fast I couldn't stop it so also now." "You're reading my thoughts?" "I'm sorry. Let me take it off, so I don't read anymore of your thoughts." "Why did you do that? Why did she teach you that?" "She taught me that for a reason and that's to see if any of your family members try to get close to me. I don't want to be used or think that whoever from your family becomes my friend just so I break the curse." "Are you saying you don't trust me?" "No! I trust you. We became friends before I knew about the curse. I used that spell or thought reader to see what you thought of me and that's all. You didn't answer my question in your thoughts you were mostly worried about a science test." "I'm sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted." "No. I'm glad you didn't answer my question I mean that's a question I shouldn't have asked I guess and in some way it showed me if I did it right.. To see if my thought reader was used or came up. I'm also sorry for doing that to you." "You know what it's fine, lets just forget about it." "-ok."