CHAPTER 4

Amber

I look at him laying there. I miss hearing his loud voice, joking around and goofing off. I miss acting annoyed at his words and rolling my eyes at him. It's only been one day but you can definitely feel his absence. I look at the pale man in the bed in front of me. Emily and I are seated in chairs at the side of his bed.

"Marcos, guess what? You know how someone need to replace Ale while he isn't here... I decided to take his place." I can imagine what it would have been like if he had been there.

"Alex is gonna flip! He's gonna kill us for letting you do this!" I smile as I imagine his reaction. He would have joked and then he would have told me that he was proud, I'm sure.

I grab his hand in mine.

"Good night Marcos, get better alright?" I plant a soft kiss on his cheek and Emily speaks.

"'Night, stud." That was what Em called him. I mean, he isn't at all bad looking and he is just naturally flirty.

I gave his hand a light squeeze before letting go, but his own hand stopped me from leaving. I felt it tighten a little over my own. I gasp and turn to look at his face only to find him opening his eyes.

"Hey." He manages to croak out weakly. Now Emily gasps.

"Marcos!" I yell in enthusiasm but I refrain from hugging him. I don't want to hurt him so instead I keep holding his hand. I feel one lone tear run down my face. He chuckles softly.

"Nice to know you guys have been missing me, although I know it's kind of hard not to. I mean, look at me." He winks. I laugh at his joke, at the relief, at the fact that not even being close to death is stopping him from being himself. Even if we have all tried to act normally there is still a tension in the air between us so this is refreshing.

"So, what have I missed?" He asks and I see no concern on his face and I realize that he doesn't know. I sigh before eI gather myself.

"Marcos, I need you to know that no one is dead but...there has been an issue." I sigh again as I bite back the tears that are threatening to fall. I take a few deep breaths before speaking again. I look at his worried face.

"First, the attack was yesterday. So only one day has gone by." The fact that not too much time has passed yet is giving me hope of finding him.

"What is it Amber, just tell me. Please." I hear the vulnerability in his voice and a small gulp.

"Alessandro was taken." I see his jaw clench.

"Marcos, you can't work yourself up. You need to do everything right in order to get better as quickly as possible. Ale needs us, but we can't help him unless we are in proper shape." I see him try to relax a little.

"Hey." I clear my throat.

"Umm, guess who took his place." I see him think but he almost immediately answers.

"Nicholas, of course." I smile weakly.

"Guess again." I try to subtly point to myself and after a few seconds I see his eyes widen at the realization.

"No."

"Yup." Emily answers.

"Awwww man! Alex is gonna fucking kill us!" I let out a laugh as I remember the reaction I'd imagined he would have. I see him smile at my laughter.