CHAPTER 5

Nicholas

I close my eyes as Amber places her head on my shoulder. I know it's an innocent act but for me it means more. She doesn't know the effect she has on me. Just looking at her makes my head go wild. Whenever she is this close I make sure to store it in my mind. These few moments are special to me. I know she will never love me and I will eventually have to stop feeling things for her but for now I can't. With time I will be able to let her go but not now. I hear a small sound and realize it is her snoring. She must be exhausted. I know she is trying to do as much as she can to save him and to prove that she can take his place but I still think she is pushing herself too hard. I sigh.

"Amber?" I nudge her.

"Little one, it's time to go inside." She groans.

"Let me sleep."

"Amber we are still outside." She opens her eyes half way and lifts her head before letting it fall back onto my shoulder.

"Carry me." I'm taken aback by her petition. Of course it's harmless to her but having her so close to me... I sigh.

"Ok." I lift her head and stand. I position myself in front of her and place one arm behind her knees and the other on her back. I lift her into the air and bring her against my chest. I just hope she can't feel my heart beating faster. Then, she snuggles closer. Goddamn it, she just loves to torture me. I move as quickly as I can and soon we are in her room. She can't sleep in those clothes, she worked out in them. I try to wake her one more time.

"Amber, hey come on." She shifts and groans a little.

"You need to change."

"Huh?" She sits up.

"Weren't we in the garden?" She seems confused and I laugh.

"Yeah but you fell asleep and ordered me to carry you here." I see her blush. I like these small moments when she isn't worrying and seems a little bit more like herself.

"Sorry." I let out a chuckle at her apology.

"Don't worry, you know I don't mind." We sit there in silence looking at each other and. Clear my throat.

"Well, you should change and go to sleep. I'll leave you to it. Good night." Before I get up I see her sad face and I feel my heart tighten. I don't like to see her so down.

"What's wrong cupcake?" She looks at me and I can see her having an internal debate.

"I...um, it's nothing."

"You know you can tell me." She sighs and answers me.

"I just...don't like being alone. The first night without him I had a nightmare and yesterday I slept with Emily...I hate lying here alone. The whole room and everything in it seems so much bigger without him. I feel so much smaller." She has her shoulders slouched and a very visible frown on her face.

"Look, how about I stay here with you." I see her face full of doubt. She knows about my feelings and although she has been acting normally I know it makes her uncomfortable.

"Not in the bed, I can sleep on the couch or on the floor next to you. How does that sound?"

"Nico, I don't want to ask that of you. You need to rest and you can't do that properly on the hard couch or the cold ground." I shake my head.

"The truth is that I haven't been able to sleep much. I hadn't had nightmares for a long time but these past two days...they came back. I guess the worry and stress is getting to me." I sigh. The fact that Alex is gone and probably being tortured brings back those memories. I have dreamt about our beatings.