CHAPTER 6

???

I remember when I ran away. My father was an abusive alcoholic and me? I was young, stupid and naive. He had always had an addiction but with time it grew stronger and his attitude toward both my mother and I worsened. I constantly did everything I could to get him to tell me was proud, if only once. I had learned that it was best to keep my mouth shut and not have an opinion on anything. As I grew all I had ever wanted was for his acceptance and any love but I never got it. He was a functioning alcoholic, which means he had a decent and stable job. I was always well fed and never knew what it was like to not have a roof over my head or decent clothing to wear. He bought me toys and any material thing I wanted. The things I wanted most though, are what he never gave me. I wanted a father to love me and be proud of me, I wanted someone I felt would always protect me. Like they say, anyone can be a father but all I ever longed for was a dad.

Things eventually escalated proportionally to his drinking problem. At first he would hit my mother and then he moved on to hurting me. I remember the day he hit her for the first time. I was in the living room playing and my mother had just sat down to eat. He had been sleeping after drinking. It was a summer afternoon and I was having fun in my fort. He woke up for some reason and went up to my mom and ordered her to go get him some more beer. He got angry at her supposed "defiance" and started telling her that he didn't care. She was meant to do whatever the fuck he wanted her to. They argued a little before he managed to drag her to their bedroom. For the first time I got scared of him hurting her and I ran into the room. They were on the bed with her underneath while he straddled her and held her down with one hand with the other in the air. My mother was sobbing and I saw her cheek starting to swell. He was slightly shocked when he saw me. That was when he still managed to slightly care about anything so he stopped and tried to make up an excuse. I was a child, but I was not stupid.

"Oh, we're just playing kid." My mother pushed him off of her and stormed out. I don't know what angered me the most, seeing him hurt her or watching my mother sit down to continue eating with tears in her eyes. She deserved so much more.

One day she decided we were leaving but he wasn't having it. After a long period of time and a lot of false hope he managed to win the fight for my custody. My mother had no job and no work experience. She had no way to provide for me like my father did. He was a man that could easily fool anyone into thinking he is a great person. After that he "took care" of me. I was in middle school and the constant physical and emotional abuse started becoming too much. I started to rebel, which obviously only made it worse. I started doing everything I could to avoid being home. I would go out with my so called friends and go to every party I could. The rest of middle school and most part of high school it was the same. I would do drugs and get as wasted as I could. I did everything and anything to numb the pain. I started sleeping around with anyone willing. I was on a self destructive path. It only worsened when I met him...Aaron.

I remember the first time I met him, dark black hair, piercing blue eyes, chiseled jaw and bad boy demeanor. Everything about him screamed "trouble" but I had come to like danger. We started talking, going out, doing drugs, drinking, fucking and I found out he was part of a gang. We were dating and he offered me a job in the gang. I declined and he didn't seem to care much. After a few months of being together I had one of the worst encounters with my father. I decided it was time to get out of there and so I escaped...with Aaron. I regret that day so much. I trusted him for some idiotic reason, I guess I was blinded by love. At first I started working in the gang and things appeared to be  going smoothly but soon I came to realize that the man I though I loved was actually a devil in disguise. I've blocked most of it out but all I know is that they would do much worse than my father ever did.