CHAPTER 29

Alessandro

I feel the grass underneath me and the warmth of the sunlight hitting my face. I turn to look at the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Then I remember she's my wife. Amber. She's giving me a warm smile, the only one that can make me melt. Her big gold eyes seem to go right though me and stare at my very soul. I usually hate people reading me, I don't like being exposed or vulnerable but with her I feel safe. I can let my guard down. Her small hand envelops mine and I take in this moment. This perfect moment. Her happy demeanor suddenly changes and she speaks.

"I'm sorry. Please wake up. Fight Alessandro. Fight for me, for your family and for us. I'll wait but please don't give up." I watch as she sits up before leaning down to kiss my forehead. What on earth is she talking about?

"Ti amo." I smile at her words.

"Mio angelo, ti amo" I reach out to her but my hand only touches air. I scramble to my feet and look to my surroundings. Where did she go? Suddenly the weather shifts and the blue clear sky is suddenly dark and clouded. Almost immediately after a storm starts and the vast green grass is transformed into a road and I'm standing off to the side. I turn as a pair of headlights blinds me. Wait, that SUV looks familiar. Mother? I smile and laugh out of joy, that is until I watch the vehicle serve and turn over.

"NO!" I yell at the top of my lungs. I run over as fast as I can, tripping over my own two feet. I'm almost there but someone grab me from behind and yanks me backwards.

"This is your fault! They died because of you! It was your birthday and you just had to have a fucking party!" My eyes fill with tears.

"That's not true!" Why is my voice so high-pitched? I look down at my hand and notice they're child sized. I start to panic before the scene changes again. I'm sitting in the dining room at the safe house and Marcos is in the chair next to me.

"You're gonna make it. I believe in you. Good night, see ya tomorrow." What? He disappears and after a few seconds of nothing happening Nicholas shows up.

"Hey, I'm sorry for this. I should have done more but of course you would tell me to not be so hard of myself." He walks up to me and holds my hand in both of his.

"I love you brother. You need to make it, I won't be able to do things without you. Good night. I'll come see you soon." My hands feel a slight coldness as he lets go. I watch him walk out and I try to follow him but as soon as I get out of the dining room he's gone.

"Hi boss, I just want you to know we all believe in you. You're going to make it out of this like you always do. Alright, I have to go guard the door but have a good night." I turn around and Axel is behind me. As soon as he finishes talking he walks past me and makes a turn at the end of the hall. I do the same but just like Nicholas he's gone. I keep walking through the building and I somehow end up sitting at an improvised desk and I watch a frightened girl sit across from me. She looks up at me and my breath hitches, I've never seen someone so beautiful. Or have I? She seems familiar.

"My name is Amber...Beaumont." Amber?

"I'm 18 but I'll turn 19 in a about a month." Why dies she seem so scared?

"I...I don't have any family or friends." Of course! It comes back to me. I know her, she's my wife.

"Amber." I reach over and grab her hand and her demeanor changes as she smiles at me. She tilts her head slightly.