CHAPTER 22

Amber

I feel my heart trying to break free from my chest. The blood in my veins is pumping like it never has before. I have to use all of my strength to stop my body from shaking with excitement. I watch as Luca and 'Amber' drive off. The rest of the cars had left much earlier and now it's only them and another one behind them that are supposed to be the only protection I'll have. I wish I could see the shock and rage on Cobra's face the moment he realizes it's a setup but of course that would never compare to finally seeing Alessandro again. Once they are out of sight the rest of us get into two separate vehicles. I can't stop the happiness that's bubbling inside of me. It only gets worse once I hear the car's engine. I watch out the window as we start to move.

I turn to look at the man sitting next to me in the driver's and like every time we go on a mission, his face is serious and void of any emotion. He's Nicholas at the moment, not Nico. The rest are just as serious. If I didn't know them I would be afraid but although I'm not, anyone who tries to stop them should be. They're out for blood and if they know any mercy I'm sure it won't come through today. They've been after Cobra for a long time and the fact that he's hurt their own only makes matters worse. I let them know though that nobody is to kill him, not even Alessandro. He's mine and mine alone.

"You okay there, little one?" I hear Nico ask and I smile softly, even when he's busy with other things he always seems to know what's going on with me.

"Yeah, just excited and nervous."

"Well, just make sure to not let that make you do anything foolish. We're all excited princess but you need to stay focused. We're going to get Alessandro out of there but that doesn't mean you can forget your own safety. We need to make sure everything is cleared before any of us goes in. Okay?" I nod.

"I know, Nicholas."

"Just because you know it doesn't mean you'll actually listen so I need you to promise."

"I already told you..."

"Kid, just promise us." Axel interrupts. I turn and open my mouth but before I even get the chance to speak I'm interrupted again.

"Amber, we mean it. We all want him back but we don't want you to get hurt." I sigh at Marcos' words.

"I promise."

"Good." Nicholas responds and we fall into silence again. The only one who didn't speak is Cleo. I've noticed that whenever we have important things to do she seems to become a different person. She hardly says a word and loses her usual shine, her eyes emotionless and her face looking deadly. I settle back into my seat hearing only shuffling, breathing and the subtle noise the tires make against the road. I look at the scenery and it all seems familiar, I don't know where we are exactly but I know we've passed this place sometime before. Some how I know we're already halfway there. The closer we get though, the more tension there is. Without even looking at anyone else, I can feel it.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

I jump a little as the sound of my phone startles me. I quickly grab it and swallow hard as I see the name on the screen. Luca. What could have happened? I hear my heart drumming in my ears.

"Hello?" Even without watching them I can feel all eyes on me.

"Amber! They attacked..." He pauses and I hear gunshots and yelling in the background.