CHAPTER 23

Amber

The moment we got to the safe house Alessandro was taken from me. I know I have to wait for the doctor to tend to him but it pains me to be away from him. I had been so eager to get him back that I forgot the possibility of him getting hurt. When I thought of the moment I would see him again, I hadn't prepared myself for him to be hurt. What hurts the most is knowing it's my fault he's hurt. I should have listened to Nicholas. I should have stayed with them and gone in together. I sigh.

"Amber." I turn to look at a very serious Nico. I'm ready for whatever he has to say to me.

"Before you say anything I want to apologize. I should have listened. Now Alessandro's hurt because of me. I'm so stupid Nico and I'm sorry. If you hate me it's fine, I don't deserve for all of you to be so nice to me. All I do is mess up and it doesn't matter where I go, I always bring trouble and problems along with me." About halfway through I start crying because I just don't know what to do anymore. I feel two large arms around me, pulling me closer.

"Amber, I don't hate you. I understand you were eager and I know Alex won't mind at all. In the end Cobra's the one who's responsible for his own actions. But I hope you understand now why I say some things. Amber, what if Alessandro hadn't taken the bullet for you? I'm angry with you but it's because you put your life in danger. When will you understand how much you mean to me? To us? I can't lose you and if anything had happened to you Alessandro would be lost. You're everything for him, nothing matters more than you. You're aware that he loves you but I don't think you understand how much. Now, things happened and all we can do is face the consequences. We need to wait and see what the doctor says and then see what our next move is. Okay?" I nod and dry any remaining tears on my face. I look up to Nico and he gives me a warm smile. We hear a door open and we quickly let go. We turn in anticipation. We know it's the doctor and I think we both hope she gives us good news. Once she comes out I falter a little, I've gotten used to seeing her come out with blood stained scrubs but it doesn't mean I don't worry. I know we've been lucky but luck eventually runs out.

"How is he?" Nicholas speaks before I do.

"We took the bullet out but he's lost a significant amount of blood and it did cause some damage. We did all we could but it's all up to him now. I won't lie, he's in a very delicate state and if it were anyone else I wouldn't have much hope but I've seen him recover faster than most. He's a fighter and for now we need to stay hopeful. His body has put itself in a coma from the blood loss and he also went into cardiac arrest for a short while. Even after that his body is still functioning on its own. He's alive for now and that in itself is a miracle, let's pray for another. You can go in and see him if you'd like but only if you're prepared." She offers a sad smile before turning around and walking away. I guess Nicholas knows me well because just as my knees give in he reaches out and holds me up.

"Amber?" I can't answer. I hear him speaking but I don't register any of it. All I can think about is Ale. Even when he was with Cobra I knew he was alive, possibly hurt but no where near death. Cobra wanted him alive and that somewhat comforted me. Now, he's practically already dead. I need him to survive but will he? I feel someone shake me.

"AMBER!" I focus on the source of those words but I can't seem to process who it is.

"That's it! Focus on me! Listen to my voice princess. Breathe in and breathe out." The more I listen to the voice the clearer things start to become. Breathe? I notice that I'm breathing much too quickly and the air isn't fully reaching my lungs. I put all my attention toward pacing myself.

"That's great Amber. In and out. Slowly." I finally feel calm and I can now see a very worried Nicholas holding me.

"Fuck Amber. Stop scaring me like that! One day you'll give me a heart attack." I laugh at his words but I can feel my head pulsing.