Waited Too Long

Aphron stood across from Loki and wagged his tail. "Come at me," he ordered as he began to bolt around a bit in circles.

Loki beamed a bit and took a step forward. Aphron snarled and lashed his tail a bit. He then closed his eyes and two more of himself appeared to his side. They bared their teeth at Loki and were about to dart forward when Aphron heard a laugh.

He spun around and in that heartbeat Loki kicked Aphron hard in the ribs. He fell to the ground and rushed to his paws. "Loki," he growled.

"It's not my fault that you weren't paying attention," Loki pointed out as he fixed his uniform.

"He does have a point Aphron," pointed out Zoryum as she strode forward and dipped her head to Aphron. Confusion lit in Zoryum's eyes. A dip of a head was so formal, so polite. Aphron usually touched his nose to hers but when he tried she drew back. He whimpered and pawed a bit at the ground.

"Er Loki could I speak to Aphron alone," Zoryum asked hopefully.

Loki understood how urgent it was and nodded. "Sure. I'll see you at diner Aphron." He turned and strode back toward the palace.

Aphron spun to face Zoryum and she shuffled her paws. "Well Atuk asked me to be his mate when he came to visit the other day and I accepted."

Aphron's eyes widened in shock. "W-What," he stammered as his mouth gaped open. He could barely breath and everything seemed to be in slow motion. His eyes flickered about and he wondered what to say.

"Oh that's er good," he rasped as he felt his body begin to shake a bit.

"Are you okay," asked Zoryum as she looked into his eyes and Aphron felt increasingly uncomfortable.

Aphron nodded vigorously and managed to look at Zoryum's underbelly. He realized it was larger than it usually was and a horrifying realization came crashing down on Aphron's mind. "You're expecting pup!"

Zoryum took a step back and yelped in shock. "I didn't think you would know."

Aphron wanted to snarl something at her but he resisted the urge and he took a step back. "I hope you have a great time with Atuk." He turned and darted into the palace.

"Aphron," called Zoryum. She was about to dart after him but thought better of him and halted. She sighed and looked at her paws. "Oh Aphron I'm so sorry."