Awake in the Night

"Aphron. Aphron are you awake?"

"I am now," mumbled Aphron as he raised a paw and ran it over his muzzle. "What is it Morali and why did you wake me up this early?"

Morali sighed and pushed his head against Aphron's flank. "Get up!"'

"What do you want," snapped Aphron as he snarled at his brother.

"It's Zoryum," Morali told him gravely. "She died."

Aphron bolted out of the room with Morali trailing. Morali called after him but Aphron wasn't listening. He darted down the hallway until he came to the room that Zoryum used to be in. He pushed his way in and realized that Koyto was laying on the nest along, thrashing out. He whimpered and Aphron's eyes lit in pain.

"It's alright," he murmured as he stepped into the nest and curled around Kroyto. He was surprised no one else was with the newborn pup but he wasn't about to question it.

"What are you doing," asked Morali as he pushed himself into the room with narrowed eyes. "He's not your son!"

"His father is dead and so is his mother," pointed out Aphron. "The least I can do is help him."

Morali wasn't about to argue with his brother so he just padded toward the pup. "What did you name him?"

"Zoryum named him Kroyto," Aphron replied as he kinked his tail over his back in pride. He began to groom the pup with swift strokes of hi tongue.

"It means strength yet that pup is as weak as a feather," Morali pointed out with an angry growl.

"I'm not just going to let him die," argued Aphron sternly as he picked up a bottle and tried to force the end into Kroyto's mouth. "I'll care for him like a father."

"Are you sure that's wise," pressed Morali as he leaned forward.

Aphron threw his muzzle close to his brother's nose. "I'm very sure and if you have a problem with it then you will have to kill him."

Morali took a frightened step back. His ears plastered against his head and he licked his paw before he swiped it it against his ear. "I won't kill an innocent pup but are you sure you're ready to be a father?" He kept his breath even. "I mean we didn't have either parents, how would we know how to be parents?"

"It's' either me or no one," Aphron pointed out as he threw the bottle aside now that Kroyto had finished with it. "I may not be the perfect candidate but I'm the only one he has."