Dark Secrets

Aphron lay sunning himself, his tail flicking on the ground. He yawned and was about ready to drift off into sleep when he felt something push him. He grunted and turned his head around, seeing Kroyto.

"What are you doing pup," Aphron asked as he hauled himself to his paws. He was surprised that Kroyto was now level with his chest. He had certainly grown but since Aphron was around him all the time he didn't notice.

"I'm not a pup," snapped Kroyto, showing a bit of teeth in his answer.

"I know but you'll always be my pup," Aphron rumbled and he was about to draw Kroyto near but to his surprise the small pup drew back, a look of dark fear in his eyes.

Aphron whimpered a bit in shock. He wagged his tail tip, inviting Kroyto closer but Kroyto held his ground. "I have to talk to you about something," he barked, sounding urgent.

"Sure, anything," Aphron barked, still feeling a bit distant because of Kroyto's demeanor.

Kroyto sat down and let out a breath. "What happened to my father?"

Aphron frowned, fear rising in his stomach. "What do you mean," he gasped. "I'm your father."

Kroyto shook his head. "No you're not. I'm not even sure now if Kroyum was my mother," he confessed darkly and it sent shivers up Aphron's spine.

Aphron growled a bit, his fur bristling. "Of course Kroyum was your mother and I am your father. What made you think differently?"

Kroyto swung his head around as if looking for something. "Uncle Morali," he answered before he wrinkled his nose. "Or should I even call him that."

Aphron felt outraged. "What did he tell you," he snarled as saliva dripped from his fangs and landed on the ground.

Kroyto raised his muzzle firmly to meet his father's gaze. "He told me that another wolf was my father. He said that you loved my mother but she chose another mate and it broke you. Then she died and you took over as my father."

Aphron thought he could argue it but Kroyto knew the truth. He sighed, plastering his fur against his body. "Yes that is very true but that doesn't mean that I love you any less."

Kroyto just shook his head. "Why didn't you tell me," he asked as his voice rose and Aphron was worried someone would hear him.

"I didn't have a choice," answered Aphron frowning.

"You lied to me," spat Kroyto as he extended his claws and bared his teeth, growling.

"Don't you dare growl at me pup or it will be the last sound you ever utter," Aphron warned as he stalked forward and towered over Kroyto a bit. Kroyto sunk back, now looking depressed. "Now I didn't lie to you. I told you that I was your father since your true father wasn't here."

"What did he look like," Kroyto pressed as he leaned forward.

"Why does it matter," Aphron pressed as he licked his lips.

"Did he look like me," Kroyto inquired as he flicked his tail tip as he waited for me to answer.

Aphron thought for a moment before he shook his head. "No you're mother didn't look like you either. You're much darker gray."

"In other words my pelt is like yours," murmured Kroyto as he pushed past Aphron. "Are you sure you're not my father?"