4. Checkup

"I feel really bad about bringing them in like this" The voice above me explained to presumably another giant as the air was filled with footsteps, metal clanging and doors being opened and closed. A different more feminine voice then replied to the first "Don't worry about it Jack, it's a bit rude but the safest way to move them until they trust you" The second giant said reassuring the first. So I guess the one who found me is called Jack. Suddenly I was blinded by a bright light as the lid of the cardboard box I was in was lifted. I shielded my face with my hand and when I glanced up two pairs of eyes looked down at me, one blue and one hazel brown. The brown eyed giant moved out of sight and footsteps sounded off to my left.

The blue eyed giant, or Jack I suppose, continued to observe me without saying a word. I returned the gesture and watched his movements with a careful eye. To say giants were unpredictable was the understatement of the century. Most didn't even know about my kind and so when we were spotted, it often sent the giants into shock which only made matters worse.

The brown eyed giant who had yet to introduce themselves, had walked out of my line of sight and was now shuffling with something metallic sounding. This broke Jack from his trance and he looked to the other giant. "So how's this going to work?" Jack asked the other giant. At this point I stood from my position crouched in the corner of the box and walked to the center trying to get an idea of what was happening.

The other giant continued to shuffle with more equipment before replying to Jack. "Just a general health check, then I have to speak with you privately" the second giant said with a calm but cautious tone. "Right, if you could just stand on this" they said finally stepping back into my line of sight and placing a large white rectangle with a metal disc on top into my box. Leaning on the side of the box for support I hobbled over to the machine and slowly climbed on top, under the watchful eyes of the two giants. The metallic surface was cold and a shiver wracked my body. The brown eyed giant frowned and looked at something on the device then walked out of sight again. "Right, you can get off now". I scooted across the smooth surface and slipped down onto the bottom of the box. Too tired to move I just stayed there in the middle of the box. The machine was removed and Jack was offered a seat in the room. He looked at me and gave a worried sigh before walking out of sight and the sound of a chair scraping against the ground could be heard. Why would he care? The brown eyed giant continued examining me, poking at my ears and shining a light in my eyes, even examining my teeth.

A bowl of water, some fruit and another sloshy warm rectangle were placed in the box and the giant addressed me. "Are you hurt in anyway?" I shook my head and the giant seemed relieved but kept a professional composure. The giant then used some sort of metal rectangle with lines on it and put it up against me, then against my arms, then legs before walking out of sight once again. "Alright, well just help yourself while I have a word with Jack". I nodded and craned my neck up to meet the giants eyes, before nervously and tiredly scooting over to the water. Sitting at the edge of the gigantic bowl I held onto the edge and started gulping it down.

Two sets of footsteps thundered out of the room and a door was firmly shut. Voices could be heard from the other side but they were too muffled to understand. Once I had my fill of water I moved over to the fruit and ate until I couldn't stomach anything else. Returning to the other dish I used my hand to slosh the cool water up onto my arm slowly cleaning myself. I continued this process with my other arm, legs and face. Not much could be done for my clothes however.

Now feeling utterly exhausted I dragged myself over to the sloshy rectangle and curled up on top. Maybe giants weren't so bad after all.