13.

"Pacific National bank is now facing a terrible loss. Without the support of their boss and foundator Mr. Blackstone, most of the costumers are switching banks to the point where the enterprise is not even reaching the break-even point. The kidnappers are asking for five million dollars in cash in return for Mr. Blackstone and his wife, Julianna. Fresh news say PNB has until next month to deliver the money. If they don't obey, the kidnappers will proceed to "get rid" of them..."

"Mom could you please turn the radio off," I begged. She was cooking dinner while I finished my homework right next to her sitting on one of the kitchen's countertops.

"What? I'm actually listening, honey. All of our savings are invested in that same bank." She confessed worriedly, "But don't worry kid, I'm sure they'll figure it out."

Of course, I hadn't told her about my friendship with the son of the boss of the bank where we kept all of our money, but maybe I should...

"Mom..." I started. "Aren't we gonna talk about, um, Harvard?"

"What do you want me to say about that? That it was a total irresponsibility? That's true. But I'm sure you already know that." She cleared while battering some pieces of chicken.

"But what are we going to do now that I have the scholarship?" I mumbled lowering my head.

"I don't know, Melissa. I really don't know. We spent hundreds of dollars on that test, and now that she actually passed the try-out you could actually study for free..." She stopped talking for a few seconds. "But it's not right! You cheated! You could get in a lot of trouble for this."

"I understand..." I answered empathically, "But mom, I really want to study there. And I know you can't afford it. I'm not as smart as Sarah, I would never get a grant, but I promise I'd pass everything!"

"I know, Mel, I know... Your father and I are working really hard so you can get to the best University possible. But please understand us if... -"

I stopped listening at my mother as the radio host started talking about Scott.

"Nineteen-year-old, only kid Scott Blackstone is now living alone in Massachusetts and has recently hired a group of bodyguards to follow him everywhere. His girlfriend's father, the Senator is believed to be the new target for these kidnappers who as it seems to be, are only interested in money."

"Jesus, Mel! Are you even listening to me?" She jumped suddenly.

I blinked rapidly as I tried to remember what she had said, but I failed.

"Mom, I like someone."

She arched her eyebrows at my sudden confession, "You what?"

"Oh, c'mon, you heard me!" I complained.

"Please tell me it's not Drew again," Was the only thing she said.

I rolled my eyes, "Mom!"

"Okay, okay... who is it, then?" She sighed while walking towards me.

I pressed my lips with embarrassment, "He has a girlfriend."

"Oh dear. Your dad had a girlfriend too when I met him," She explained with a wide smile.

I smiled back.

"Right?" I jumped off the countertop with decision, "It doesn't really matter if he's single or not."

My mom furrowed her eyebrows and tore her look away from my eyes as if she hadn't understood what I just said.

"I didn't mean that, honey," She whispered after a few seconds.