25.

Scott's POV

"She's pregnant," I muttered in her hair, my voice breaking completely. In just a few seconds, I had been able to see my life shattering just in front of my eyes, the possibility of a real stable relationship with Melissa was now gone, just like that.

My mom was gone, my dad was gone. Now she would have to leave as well. Voluntarily. My heart clenched.

I felt her arms falling down my back slowly, her touch suddenly felt distant, cold.

"What?" She said, her voice filling my ears, causing me pain just by listening to it.

"Lisa's pregnant with my baby," The words came out of my mouth without even thinking about them, I regretted them instantly. Even though it was a part of me to always feel the need to tell the truth, I knew the situation didn't require that much precision, I messed up, as always.

She pulled away and awkwardly folded her arms, keeping her gaze on the floor. The atmosphere had changed drastically in a matter of seconds, and I was the one to blame. I felt terrible for that, but I couldn't do anything to fix it.

"I'm trying not to get mad at you right now, because I know that's not what you need at the moment. I can't help it though, you got a girl pregnant. A girl you don't even love." She pointed out taking deep breaths in between her words.

I bit my lip, I still couldn't process the news. I still couldn't get how she could be pregnant. One time. One time had we had sex, someone up there must hate me. The night of the party, the night I kissed Mel, the girl for who I'd been falling for hard these past months. Being the complicated ass I am I decided tearing her away by getting it on with Lisa would help me forget her.

That was something I had never told Mel. A long story. Millionaire issues. For my parents, marrying was more like a contract in which love didn't have a place. Easy for them, they did fall in love and were lucky enough that their parents let them get together.

Unlike me, not a single girl my parents introduced me to woke up anything inside me. Lisa did, though, as a friend. And that was already something big for me, people have never been something I'm good at.

The fact that I actually flirted with Melissa the afternoon we met at Harvard surprised me. What was it that made me make a move on her like that? Since when do I talk to girls without a reason? They're usually the ones to start it all.

Little did she know she had turned my world upside down. Before meeting her, I never even thought of questioning my parents's orders. After all, they built an empire after they got married, it wasn't like they didn't have any brains.

I didn't question them. Ever. And even though sometimes their words didn't make sense in my head, it all usually turned out to be fine. It always took a lot of effort, and sometimes I even felt guilt. Having them teach me how to run a Bank practically at age zero was what they had been doing for their whole life. Their hope was focused on me, I was the one destined to take over the company when they retired, and I was more than pleased to do that. But I can't deny I don't agree in most of their manners of doing so.

It all started when I turned sixteen, I could legally get a job, and have a contract to sign. My father offered me the Department Manager position and even though I knew it wouldn't be fair for others as they had been working longer than me for that position, I couldn't help but take it, I didn't want to let him down.

It got even worse when I discovered the main duty of a Department Manager. I had to fire people. People with a family, with kids to feed and a home to pay for. Every morning I'd get a list with a bunch of names, I would drive around Massachusetts visiting our numerous offices and give the workers the bad news.