The Story Behind The Emerald

Mareep and I ran through the route. The wind had a gentle breeze to cool off the hot sun beating down on us. The sounds of bug pokémon, trees swaying, and water slowly flowing in a stream made me so happy and peaceful.

We decided to go take a break and get a drink of water from the refreshing stream. As I cupped my hands and scooped out water, I saw a shadow on the water's surface. The air became cold, and fear began to rise for me and Mareep. I looked all around, up, left, right, and back, but there was nothing there. We took a deep breath and began to calm down.

I decided that it would be better to just get to the next town over, Oldale Town, where there was a little more civilization.

"L-let's go Mareep!" I insisted. We both began to sprint towards the town.

"Hello. Is everything all right?" A girl with blond hair, a green tank top, light blue shorts, and brown combat boots asked.

"Yea." I gasped. "We were spooked. We saw a big shadow on the water out there. Sorry to worry you." I apologized.

"Not again!" The girl cried. "I'm Maddie. Nice to meet you." Maddie held out her hand.

"I'm Brendan." I shook her hand. "This is Mareep."

"Mareep! Reep!" Mareep exclaimed.

"We just started our journey today." I explained.

"Journey! That sounds like so much fun!" Maddie's eyes lit up.

"I want to be a pokémon champion!" I proudly stated.

"That's so cool! I want to find a bunch of legendary pokémon. My mom finally let me come out here to Hoenn. I just got here last week. Its pretty nice, but it gets a little lonely." Maddie sad with a sad expression on her face.

"Me too! I just got here! Maybe we can find you a pokémon to keep you company." I suggested.

"Oh, I don't want to take your time-" Maddie was cut off.

"Nonsense! Lets go find one now!" I grabbed her hand and began running out of town.

We began to slow down.

"So that shadow. What was it like?" Maddie asked.

"Well, it was really big and long."

"I've been looking for something like that. My books can't tell me that much though." Maddie shrugged.

"So you know something about it?" I was interested.

"Yea. It was probably the legendary pokémon Rayquaza, guardian of the glistening emerald." She began.

The glistening emerald. That sounded so familiar.

"What is the glistening emerald?" I asked.

"It is a precious and powerful gem that is guarded by Rayquaza. Legendary pokémon came together to create it. If that power got in the wrong hands, the entire world could be destroyed."

"How do you know all of this?" I was shocked.

"I've spent a long time researching it."

I was impressed.

"Lets go find you a friend!" I exclaimed.

We ran through the grassy fields looking for pokémon.