Chapter 10

You had once again attempted to do work but was prevented from doing so. Seeing that you were not going to be able to do anything, you stayed in your room for majority of you time. You wondered if Arity successfully managed to get to Vols. Due to the fact she isn't even a teenager, you wondered how she would be able to take care of herself. Your thoughts were short lived when the door to your room was opened. Regina was here.

Standing up you bow. "Lady Regina."

"Lay off the titles. We need to talk." She says as she sits down on a chair. When she sees you aren't moving from your position she rolls her eyes. "Did you not hear me? I want to talk to you and I can't do that if you won't speak up."

"I apologize."

"If you are so sorry than sit down." She points to a chair and you obey and sit down. "Arte likes you doesn't he?" You freeze up. You did not know how to respond to what she was saying. Noticing how tense you are she continues. "Don't worry. I don't plan on harming you because of it. What my concerns about this though is what happens to me. Tell me F/n, what do you think will happen to me now that he has his sights set on you?"

"He will kill you."

"Oh such a smart girl you are." She says sarcastically. "Now here is the deal. I want to live. Arte knows that he has to get married to me to get more power. After marriage, he would not give a damn about me. That is until you showed up. Eventually he is going to try and kill me to get you. So your job is simple. Keep his sword away from my neck. I don't give a damn if your kid becomes the next emperor or you become the empress and I wind up a divorcee. As long as I live to tell the tale, I don't care."

"So you want me to make sure you stay alive basically." you ask to confirm.

"Yes. You may not know this, but you have a little control over him. That little control is enough to keep me alive. After all F/n, if I die, my blood won't be on Arte's hands. It will be on yours." You understood Regina doesn't like Arte and that she is a person who doesn't care about anything or anyone but herself. But what she is saying is true. Arte never payed attention to Regina, even now. But that might change after a while. Were Regina to die by his hands, it would be due to your presence, not Arte's blood lust.

"I understand Lady Regina. I will do my best to keep you alive."

"Good." She gets up from her seat and begins walking to the door. "Also, F/n." She turns to you. "Congratulations on sneaking that little slave girl out." Your eyes become wide. 

"How did you..." You trail off.

"I know a lot more about how this place works that you." she walks out. You didn't know how she found out, but you knew she wouldn't care enough to do anything about it.

An hour later, Arte shows up in your room.

"Have you been here the whole entire time?" He asks. You nod.

"They say I don't have to work anymore." you answer.

"Good so they are following orders. Well anyway F/n, can you read?" You nod. 

"Then I can get you started on studies."

"Studies?"

"If you are going to be my lover, you need to know the basics of the empire." 

"I see." So this is what Regina meant, you thought. All of sudden, Arte's eyes turn cold.

"You disappeared at the party. Where did you go?" 

"It was stuffy inside, I went to the balcony to get fresh air."

"Alone?" You remain quiet. You didn't know how to answer this question safely. As you were thinking on an answer, Arte grabs your arm so tightly you yelp in pain. "I asked were you alone?"

"I-I wasn't." you stutter.

"Who were you with?"

"I don't know." You lie. You didn't want to say it was the Emperor of Vols. It would be too risky for you.

"You never asked for their name."

"He didn't tell me."

"He? You were with a man?" He grip becomes tighter and you yelp again.

"Arte. Your hurting me." At that he release his hold on you. You hold your arm close to your chest. Arte, realizing what he has done tries to reach out to you but you involuntarily flinch.

"I am sorry." he says quietly. Slowly you look up at him. His eyes are filled with sadness. He slowly pulls you into a hug. "I am so sorry." He keeps on mumbling apologies. He didn't realize he was hurting you until you pointed it out. You understood that you needed to get his trust quickly. That way you can escape at the proper time.