Chapter 16

Regina was out looking for Arte. She went to the first place she knew he would be. The torture rooms. Regina had been here before once. The screams and the floors and walls flecked with blood had always disturbed her. She didn't want to imagine what happened inside. If only the other nobles saw this. Regina was disturbed by the punishments given but she never felt bad for the victims. Maybe it was because of how she was brought up or maybe it was because she never given the opportunity to learn what empathy was. Regardless, she doesn't want to take part in it and waits outside for Arte to come out.

She hears screams and tries to ignore it. Finally they stop. Arte walks out moments later. His clothes have flecks of blood all over. 

"I wonder what this prisoner do to have you doll out the punishment." She says with a crooked smile. Regina was done pretending to be stupid. Her life was now on the verge of being taken from her. Arte glares at her.

"What are you doing here?" He said while glaring. She walks up to him and when she is right in front of him, only then does she start speaking.

"I know what you plan on doing with F/n. I know that you want her to be your legal wife but before you cut my head off, listen to what I got planned that will benefit the both of us." Arte glares more but nods. "To my room then. I'm sure you wouldn't want F/n to see you like this." 

Arte follows Regina to her room. He always knew that there was something off about her. The way she smiled at him and how she always seemed happy. He knew she was hiding something. He turned a blind eye since she was important for political reasons. Besides, if she did plan something that involved him being impacted in a negative way, it wouldn't be extremely difficult to remove her. They enter her room and sit across from each other.

"So. What is your beneficial plan?"

"Don't you get straight to the point?" Regina says sarcastically. Regardless she explains. "I honestly don't care about who you love. What I care about is how this girl will affect me. I don't care if she becomes Empress. But I need to be the Empress first for a good reason."

"Which is?"

"I know you hate me. But you need me. For power. The position will do me well. It will give me power to provide myself a comfortable living arrangement when I am demoted." Regina stares at Arte. "I want to live a quiet life. After we get married, just say I had an affair or I somehow died in an accident. After that I leave your life once and for all and you could do whatever you want with F/n. So what do you say?" 

Arte contemplates what she is thinking. It is true that if he were to get more power it would be through Regina's family. He would need to marry her for that reason. He didn't like it one bit though. The thought of you witnessing him exchange vows with another woman infuriated him. But you seemed to support Regina. She must of told you her plans. Finally he came to a decision 

"...Alright." Regina smiles. 

"Look forward to the wedding. Chances are that will be the only day we will be legally husband and wife." Regina walks out to discuss other things involving her. Arte begin thinking about you. You supported what Regina thinks. Did it mean you had some sort of affection for him. As he was thinking this he hears the door open.

"Alright Regina. I just finishe-" You say as you open the door. You were told that Regina went to her room. What you weren't told was that Arte was with her. When you see him you stop mid-sentence.

"F/n, What are you doing here?"