twenty.

chapter twenty.
- kehlani jenner

Tears streamed down my face. My final opportunity to find my mother: gone. Alisha put her arm around me, tears also filled her eyes.

"Don't worry, Kehlani," Alisha reassured me, "we will sort something out, prom-"

"Kris!" A familiar voice from behind me shouted, "don't go!"

"Carla?" Kris turned around, letting go of the suitcase that was in her hand and running towards Carla, "is that you?"

"Carla?" I gasped. Alisha dropped her arm in confusion as to why she was here but Carla just ignored us and focused on Kris.

"Where have you been all these years!" Kris stood in front of Carla, her eyebrows furrowed and her hands placed firmly on her hips, "look at poor Kehlani here." Kris pointed at the woman stood next to her, the fake Kehlani Jenner.

"What are you talking about, Kris?" Carla laughed, "that's not Kehlani!"

The false Kehlani's face once again turned paper white and guilt spread across it like butter.

"Excuse me?" Kris stepped away from the woman, looked at her and folded her arms, "what do you mean, this isn't Kehlani?"

"Are you kidding me, Kris?" Carla scoffed, "you just decided to take any random person who claims their Kehlani? Do you know how unprofessional that is?"

"You don't know what you're talking about," the false Kehlani shouted, "we're going to miss our flight, mother."

"Carla's right, actually," Kris replied, "you didn't even bring any form of identification, you just said that Carla and Micheal were your foster parents and that you had a sister called Avery."

"How would you know all that?" Carla asked, furiously. False Kehlani's face went bright pink, for her plan had backfired.

"And if you don't tell us," Kris turned to false Kehlani, "we're going to call the police, right now."

False Kehlani dropped her suitcase and headed towards the door at a quick speed, dodging almost everything that was in the airport.

"Stop right there," a large, buff man with a long, dark brown beard and no hair held her.

"I'm going to have to have you call the police," Kris shouted over to the man.

"Call the police? Are you sure?" He responded, the false Kehlani screaming and trying to kick her way out of his tight grip.

"Absolutely," Kris replied, "so what brings you here, Carla?"

The false Kehlani was being dragged away into a room where she would wait to be collected and questioned by the police.

"I have Kehlani," Carla gulped, "actually, this is her."

Carla turned to me and pointed, Kris' face filled with guilt and confusion.

"It is?"

"Yeah, Kris," Carla pulled out my birth certificate that Kris gave her when she gave me up and my passport, "look."

Kris quickly scanned the identification and cupped a hand over her mouth, tears filling her eyes.

"I'm so sorry," Kris pulled me into a tight hug, "I can't believe I treated you that way."

I hugged her back, confused about the whole situation. The girl, where had she gone? Carla, why was she here?

"I didn't want her to go with you, at first. I lied to her, I tried to do anything to make her stay," Carla's eyes began to fill up, "but I realised, if you love someone, you just have to let them go. Kehlani deserves to be with you, Kris."

Kris released her grip on me and turned back to Carla, "I want you to come and live in America with us."

"Huh?" Carla's face dropped, she was confused. Why would she want someone to live near her who hid her daughter away from her for years?

"You looked after her when I couldn't," Kris smiled, "you deserve it. You deserve to have a nice house in Hollywood Hills with your husband and your daughter, then Kehlani can visit you whenever."

"I can't pay that off, Kris," Carla frowned, "and I can't leave Shadow, he's our family dog."

"Don't be silly, Carla!" Kris burst out into laughter, completely forgetting that about ten minutes ago she was ready to go and live in a house with someone pretending to be her daughter, "I will pay off your house, obviously, and we can get a dog on the private jets!" Kris reached out and put her hand on Carla's, "don't you worry about it."

"So, you're saying I can live with my family and see my foster family almost everyday," I wondered.

"That's exactly what I'm saying," Kris pulled Carla and I into a hug, I forced Alisha to join the hug, too, because I don't think I would be here if it wasn't for her.

end of chapter twenty.

one thousand reads. oh my god ! it might not seem like a lot to very many people but ONE THOUSAND is a REALLY big number if you ask me! i never thought anyone would really read this, i just started it one day because i felt like writing something and ever since i watched the numbers slowly mount up. i remember seeing 100 reads and being so happy and proud, but wow, one thousand! thank you so much to anyone who has ever read this!

evi x x