Chapter 1: Painting Crimson

The smell of blood stains the air, thick and coppery, still hot in the white, frozen world. Cheers and boos fill the air, making the blood seem so much sweeter. The sounds and smells stir the beast in Kiera, it twists inside her, screaming the acknowledged, let lose. Kiera clamps down on the wolf inside her.

“I hate winter” Cody says simply, her breath fogging the air in front of her face.

Kiera nods, and agrees, even though she isn’t listening to her friend. “Yeah, winter. Great fight” she says, trying to see over the heads of people in front of her. Snow flicks high into the air, and savage snarls echoing through the forest. A brief flash of brown appears between two heads, but disappears again shortly after. “Oh, come on!” Kiera shouts, trying to squeeze between the two guys.

Cody sighs. She grabs Kiera’s arm, pulling her back easily. “You’re not listening to me.”

Kiera glances back, but only for a brief second before brawl draws her attention again. “Of course I’m- kick his ass Romy! You the girl!” Kiera screams, bulldozing through the crowd.

Romy in wolf form darts around the male, a dark splash against the snow. Her paws sink into the ground, her muscles bunching as she bares her teeth. Despite the clear indication of the wolf’s attack, the guy doesn’t move. His brown fur bristles, and he leaps to meet her.

But Romy doesn’t jump at the brown attacker. She slides under him, fur brushing his stomach.

Kiera shouts her approval as Romy twists, sinking her fangs into the guy’s leg. Snow puffs up as the two wolf’s crash into the snow in a tangle of limbs. The smell of blood overrides the smell of anything and everything. Bright splatters of blood stain the ground bright crimson around two dark wolves.

Cody, on the outside of the ring, just crosses her arms. She almost feels sorry for Eric, but it is his fault Romy’s tearing him limb from limb. If he hadn’t thought throwing a snowball at her was a good idea, than dared to wink at her, she wouldn’t have challenged him. Cody turns away from the circle, brushing her blond hair to the side. Winter is beautiful, she has to admit, but it’s too cold for her. Shifting into her wolf form is almost unpleasant. She never understands why anyone likes rolling in icy powder which melts in your coat and tickles as the cold water runs down your skin.

Without a backwards glance Cody leaves for her house, seeking the comfort of a hot drink and dry surroundings. 

Kiera almost jumps into the fight as she watches the wolves brawl. Streaks of blood smear the snow, making the snow look even whiter compared to the crimson. She glances around, praying one Eric’s friends jump’s in to help the losing wolf. Romy is thrashing him, she hardly has a scratch compared to his bloody face and mattered hind. Kiera bounces on her feet, feeling the wolf stir under her skin.

Ever since she was little the wolf was always there, fidgeting under her skin, breathing through her, and seeing through her eyes. She feels the need to shift with every second of the day. It feels more natural than her human body.

But she can’t jump into the fight; otherwise she’ll have to fight against Romy. It’s a downfall of the fights.