Chapter 16

Kiera snarls to herself, lowering her muzzle onto the bitterly cold wood of the porch. Even through her thick wolf coat the chill crawls into her body, fighting a war against the fire burning through her veins. Her eyes flick over the front yard again, but she already knows Chase hasn’t shown up in the past two seconds she was looking elsewhere.

Irritated, Kiera flickers her tail. In the silence of the early morning, the lest Chase could do was show up on time. At quarter to six she’d managed to drag her lazy butt out of bed and into the shower, eat a quick breakfast and was still ready on time.

The sun hasn’t even come up, the sky still a deep bruises blue purple as the light, deathly slow, seeps into the world. The warmth seems to have forgotten to come back to earth though, lost within the nights frozen temperatures.

She had managed to get ready for their six am patrol. Why wasn’t Chase ready? She can already hear Jordan barking, yelling at them for not patrolling, using words like pup and imbecile, and if he’s really into it he’ll throw around puerile (meaning immature or childish), just to sound smart.

With an unhappy grunt Kiera pushes herself off the floor. Oh, when she gets her claws into Chase…

She takes the short path to Chase’s house, cutting across impossibly deep drifts of snow that had formed in the darkness of night. At the porch she shakes off the snow and trudges up the stairs, nails clicking.

The door opens before she can get close to the door however, and Carter appears in the doorway. His eyes are half closed, hair sticking up, but he nods a greeting despite the half dead look. “Chase isn’t here. He ran out the door hours ago, woke me up. Tell him to cheek the time before he tries to destroy the kitchen and break the door. Bastard” he adds as he plods back inside. The door closes with a slight bang.

Kiera frowns, the feeling strange in wolf form. Hours ago? Kiera snarls, spinning on her heels. Does that mean Chase had ditched her? Or was he simply waiting for her at the track instead of picking her up like he normally does in the mornings?

If Chase just got the times wrong, wouldn’t he come to her door wanting to wake her up?  He couldn’t be that silly could he? Sure, he runs the wrong way when heading home, walks into doorways –not even the door- and holds the world record for face plants, but…

Suddenly the idea of him getting the times wrong don’t seem so farfetched, but it still doesn’t stop the twist of uncertainty.

Unfortunate for Chase, when Kiera shows up where they meet he’s not there. I’m going to skin him, Kiera snarls to herself as she surveys the dark path. Take that nice golden pelt as a trophy, turn it into a rug so I can step on him every day.

After a long, boring minute of waiting Kiera shakes her head. Well, she’s not getting in trouble for Chase’s insolence. Without another thought Kiera sets onto the track by herself. Despite the sun not having risen yet, she follows the path easily eyes piercing the low light with ease. Slowly warmth leaks back into the world, fuelling the slow burning fire of Kiera’s wolf. Not long into the run she spots two figures running towards her, both dark blots in the grey world.