Chapter 22

Sorry! I forgot the upload! Nobody keeps telling me they want updates, so i forget all the time.

Is anyone reading because they like this, rather then boredom? 

The forest is quiet as Keira and Chase wonder through it. Small animals skitter away from the wolves, many more than she’s ever seen on the Alcrest’s land.

The pair are breathes of noise in the quiet, but Kiera fears that someone will hear her from the other side of the towering walls. Worse yet, she’s afraid someone will smell the Revokers on her, or see the betrayal in her eyes.

Eli had given her very few parting words, but she can’t seem to remember much more than; “Keep your head down and don’t do something stupid,” although Eli’s version was much more cutting. Now, as she nears the compound, the words are implanted in her brain for good. She already knows that something will happen-Kiera can’t keep her mouth shut.

The sun melts over the walls, smearing it with orange and gold, contrasting the mood raging in Kiera. The walls should be black and splattered with red, foreboding and terrifying.

Even without a map or signposts, Chase leads Kiera towards the tunnel efficaintly. She can’t help but think everyone on the other side as her enemy, and she the spy. Part of it thrills her, and another part; the stronger part, scares her to death.

At least she’ll have Chase. He didn’t have her to confide in at the start, hell; he probably didn’t even want to talk about the Revokers at the time in case she caught on.

Kiera sneaks a glance at Chase. She’s almost too busy watching Chase’s pelt shiver as his muscles move to notice the hulking figure standing in the shadow of a tree. By the time she realizes it’s a person, and not just a weird shadow, the figures already lunging at Chase.

To startled to do much, Kiera can only get out a quick bark of warning. At the sound, Chase’s ears prick but it’s already too late as an arm is slung under his neck.

She doesn’t get to see what happens;  she’s just crouched to jump when she’s grabbed from behind and dragged backward. She redirects her snarl, turning to her attacker in fury. Pain radiates over her jaw as a hand smacks against the side of her face and she twists away, tasting blood in her mouth from her split lip.

In the next instant her feet are flipped out from under her as someone shoves her hard.

Kiera struggles to roll off her back and out of the snow blanketing her. As she bounces out of the snow she has only a second to react before a leg hits her. Hot blood bursts into her mouth as she closes her jaw on the leg, snarling in fury. Again she’s lifted off her feet, but this time she lands on her own accord as she releases the leg.

Her growl dies when she sees Raymond, glaring and annoyed. “You’re welcome” Is all he says.

Slowly Kiera steps out of her crouch, circling hesitantly to Chase. The side of his jaw is bloody, although it’s not his, and there’s a shallow gash between his neck and shoulder.

She snarls a warning at the man who’d attacked Chase to back off before she nudges his shoulder with her face. She doesn’t stop her glaring at the small Revoker party even though the man’s backed away. “Chill” he says in a deep, throaty voice. “Just making sure you two look like you were in the fight.”