Chapter 30

There is no word to describe how Kiera feels as the guards burnish massive weapons over them. 

Horrified won’t cut it. Terrified, petrified, mortified, trepidation, alarmed. Nothing works. It’s a deep cold, a spreading panic and fear flooding her veins with things beyond terror or dread. The sense to run over powers her; but she can’t move. She’s rooted to the spot in cold fear.

Almost gracefully, the soldiers step forward like an awful synchronized dance from hell. The metal growl’s loudly as it slides against itself, grinding against metal. The red solider swings his studded mace in a shallow acre; testing its weight or trying to scare them to death? It doesn’t matter.

Her mind can’t think of a suitable curse.

Somehow, though, her mind manages to make one horrific conclusion. The Alcrest’s bodies are in that room, or somewhere beyond it.

The blue solider swings the broad sward high suddenly. When it crashes down, the sound is deafening. The floor cracks loudly and Kadar narrowly misses being sliced in two. The sword is wedge inches into the marble flooring which has massive cracks through it, but the soldier pulls it up without a problem. Kiera stumbles but quickly gets her feet under her as the red soldier advances.

Weakness! Everyone has one! She screams to herself. Her mind screams to run, to flee and never, ever return. She refuses to move. Chase is whining, backing away, but her eyes flicker over the guards for something; she doesn’t know what.

They’re not human, and their armour is thick and heavy and glowing like it’s lit from inside. The weapons too look weighty; a dozen wolves wouldn’t be able to lift one.

Suddenly the mace is hurtling towards her side.

Something snaps, breaking free. Instead of jumping out of the way like a smart person would Kiera leaps forward. The maces chain grazes her flank. Within a few easy strides she’s under the towering soldiers legs. He’s easily three times as tall as her in human form, and with ankles as thick as her waist.

Her paws skid on the floor as she pulls to a stop and narrowly misses getting crushes as the guard tries to find her again.

Chase barks loudly, effectively drawing the soldier’s attention away from her.

She moves around the back, fruitlessly looking for something. An off switch would be miraculous; unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be one. Through the thin lines in the armour, Kiera can see something like fire; or coloured smoke blazing.

Suddenly the soldier steps forward. A blur of red is all she sees as the mace swings around with such force a mountain shall crumble under it. Something grey flies through the darkness and so far down the hallway it crashes past the open front doors to the solid stairs outside.

Chase!

The ground cracks ferociously and Kiera’s thrown forward. She’s so luck she’d leaps forward unconsciously, because now a huge crack in the marble flooring confirms she would be a pancake instead of just reeling with a painful headache and over turned stomach.